OBD previously worked, now outside of range?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

OBD previously worked, now outside of range?

Post by Touring_Dave »

Hi,

Went for a quick refamiliarization trip to make sure everything was working on my lap-timer as haven't used it since probably August 2018.

Running:

Harry's LapTimer Grand Prix Edition v22.1.4 Nov 28 2018 19:46:33
Android 8.1.0 - Wileyfox Swift 2 Plus
ILC OBD Diagnostic Interface Bluetooth Dongle
Mazda MX5 NC 2 Ltr

The hardware / vehicle above is identical to what I used last year which worked fine, in fact there are a couple of videos posted on this site showing everything in working order

Unfortunately the OBD is now flagging up OBD Update Rate as 'not at expected rate'or something similar. It appears 'green' in the sensor list however when I try to use Timer or Speedo it flags up 'red' and out of range.

I have tried deleting it from both HLT and the Mobile then re-associating it but the error described above still remains.

I have also gone into Expert Settings and tried "Use Bluetooth LE Sensors" both on and off without success.

It's noted that the Harry's software has updated since I Iast had any success as has the mobile's software.

Just wondering whether there is some setting with HLT I need to adjust to get this working or whether it is more likely the (cheap) OBD dongle has reached end of life.

Would appreciate any comments.

Many thanks, Dave.
Last edited by Touring_Dave on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazda MX-5 (Miata) NC 2ltr, IL Motorsport Manifold, Cold Air Intake, Ecutek remap, Skuzzle Dyno 164hp at wheels, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellowstuff pads front and rear, Meistrr Coilovers.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD previously worked, now outside of range?

Post by Harry »

The warning you have seen most probably is about a lower than expected update rate. This issue occurs in case there is a problem with app / adapter communication. The difference between LapTimer v22.1 and older versions is that it applies a number of optimization technics. Turn turn off these optimizations again, please change some Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks.

The most conservative, but slowest selection is:

Adaptive Timing ‣ Enabled
Disable Parallel Requests ‣ ON

Furthermore, try

ECUs Addressed ‣ ECM

It both adds stability and speed of communication.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

P.S. After changing this settings, send LapTimer to background (Home) and pull it forward again. This is to make sure the settings are actually used. Restarting the app can be a good thing too.
Image Image Image Image
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: OBD previously worked, now outside of range? - SOLVED

Post by Touring_Dave »

Harry,

Made the three changes "Adaptive Timing ‣ Enabled, Disable Parallel Requests ‣ ON, ECUs Addressed ‣ ECM" and all now appears to be working.

Many thanks for your prompt as always reply, much appreciated.

Dave.
Last edited by Touring_Dave on Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazda MX-5 (Miata) NC 2ltr, IL Motorsport Manifold, Cold Air Intake, Ecutek remap, Skuzzle Dyno 164hp at wheels, EBC Turbo Groove discs and Yellowstuff pads front and rear, Meistrr Coilovers.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Fine, but please try to turn on one of the first and second. This willl speed up the update rate.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Touring_Dave »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:47 pm Fine, but please try to turn on one of the first and second. This willl speed up the update rate.

Harry
Harry, Will give them a go individually later this afternoon and report back.

Dave.
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: OBD previously worked, now outside of range? SOLVED

Post by Touring_Dave »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:47 pm Fine, but please try to turn on one of the first and second. This willl speed up the update rate.

Harry
Harry,

Feedback as promised:
HLT_Options_Capture.PNG
HLT_Options_Capture.PNG (11.68 KiB) Viewed 2450 times
Unless you recommend a different setting I have set it to Option 2 which was the first one to work.

Comments for Options 5 and 8 for your info in case of use.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Dave.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for the efforts. :-) Option 6 should be a bit faster than 2?
Once LapTimer v23 is getting available, please try option 4. It should be faster than 2 or 6. I have worked on some answering patterns I have seen for beta testers - well possible it has been the same issue you have been facing. Thanks again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Touring_Dave
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Touring_Dave »

Harry wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:12 pm Option 6 should be a bit faster than 2?
Will try again but unfortunately it won't be possible before the weekend...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can keep it like it is, I just wanted to show the option to get a bit faster updates. :-)

Harry
Image Image Image Image