Acceleration Data Skewed

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Acceleration Data Skewed

Post by ckowalc »

Now, that V22 has come out my acceleration data is now working again but it is skewed about 40 degrees. I have tried the "Left Hand Traffic Preset" (since my mounting position is left of the driver) and "Automatic Preset" without success. I have been editing the CSV data and making a excel program to rotate the accel data points which is a bit tedious.

I believe I have tried "Individually Measured" setting too and for some reason I don't think it worked either but maybe I did not set it up correctly. I remember instruction to drive in a straight line, etc.

What setting should i use given my mounting position? Surely there has to be an easier way to calibrate the accelerometer?
Phone Pos.PNG
Phone Pos.PNG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 3312 times
Screenshot_2018-11-08-08-35-52.png
Screenshot_2018-11-08-08-35-52.png (105.01 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Acceleration Data Skewed

Post by gplracerx »

See those little icons in the lower part of the g-g graph? The three on the bottom are used to change the angle. The one on the left rotates the data 2 degrees per touch counterclockwise and the one on the left rotates clockwise. The one in the center is supposed to orient the graph correctly. I'd try that first and then fine tune with the other two.

The driving position on the left calibration assumes the device is rotated about 30 degrees clockwise from perpendicular towards the driver. If you mount the device perpendicular to the vehicle axis, you should use the cam calibration.
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

Not sure how I missed those buttons. Can you adjust the angle of the acceleration data for the entire day or session?

I'd say my setup is probably somewhere perpendicular and 30 degrees but I'll try the cam calibration. Maybe I can adjust my mount so it is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the car. Seems like there should be an easier way to calibrate the accelerometer though :/.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Can you adjust the angle of the acceleration data for the entire day or session?
Don't know. I suspect not, but have never tried it. I use HLT for autocross, so even for a day you're not talking many runs. Mine is never that far off.

Edit: I didn't look at the picture until just now. The orientation of the phone for accelerometer calibration assumes the phone is in the center of the windshield. So you are using the wrong calibration for the way your phone is pointed. Since your phone is turned to the right, you should be using the right calibration, not the left.
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

But it is "Left Hand Traffic" meaning Britain, Japan, etc where right hand drive cars are driven. That would mean the driver should be to the right side of the phone (when in the car looking out of the windshield)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, Left Hand Traffic means Right Hand Drive and vice versa. So with the device mounted like yours, Left Hand Traffic is correct. As long as you are not driving in Britain etc, you need to set this preset manually when mounting the phone in a non standard position.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckowalc
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by ckowalc »

Any idea why the acceleration data is about 40 degrees off using the LHT preset? My phone is mounted about 10 degrees toward the driver so I'd expect the data to be ~20 degrees off at most?

Harry, what the best option for my phone mounting? Is there a way to adjust the accleration in all of the laps of a session? Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

As a repair function, acceleration adjustment (rotation) needs to be done lap by lap. For the angle - please try with a the LHT setting next time, I’m not sure the math is simply adding up angles.

Harry
Image Image Image Image