Issues with Android Head Unit

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Horrid_Funk
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Issues with Android Head Unit

Post by Horrid_Funk »

I'm trying to get HLT Rookie edition running on my Joying Android head unit. My first issue is that I don't believe it has an accelerometer and I get stuck on calibration so that I can't record my lap times. My issue is exactly like this post: viewtopic.php?t=4502

Is there a way to get it working in my case? I do have a GoPro Hero 5 so one option is to use the accelerometer on the GoPro correct? Do I need to upgrade to Petrolhead to connect the GoPro?

One other issue that I can't seem to find any info on: if there is USB OBD2 support. I've seen old posts saying that it isn't supported but I was wondering if that's changed. I currently use an OBDLink SX to connect to my head unit and read engine sensors using Torque. It would be nice to keep that and not have to go back to my old Bluetooth OBD2 reader. I'm actually not even sure if my head unit supports bluetooth OBD2 readers that aren't Joying branded, I'll have to check on that. Either way I'd prefer to use the USB device.

Thanks for the help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issues with Android Head Unit

Post by Harry »

You can use LapTimer without an acceleration sensor available. You will get a warning or error message but it can be ignored. For laps recorded without acceleration, you can ask LapTimer to calculate acceleration from GPS: Lap List / your lap / Recalculate / Acceleration.

To remote control an action cam, you need to upgrade to Petrolhead and then to GrandPrix. You can operate the action cam manually too and add that footage to your recordings manually later. For this scenario, Only Petrolhead is required.

USB connected device are not yet supported. See www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/android for options and requirements.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Horrid_Funk
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Horrid_Funk »

So will it still record laps even when it gives me a red "not ready" because the calibration isn't working?

Are you planning on supporting USB devices in the future? Is there an expected timeline for implementation? I appreciate your development of this app, it has some very useful features that I'm excited to use.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Yes, the missing Calibration error should probably be replaced by a warning in case no acceleratuon sensor is available. All the health checks are an analysis of the current status only. They do not change LapTimer’s behavior (which may certainly be some failure because of the same reason a warning or error has been displayed).

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No timeline on the wired accessory support currently.

Harry
Image Image Image Image