relink large files & splits

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
FlyYellow
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

relink large files & splits

Post by FlyYellow »

So I used the app to control my hero5 and i'm having two issues:

1. The video files are 4GB splits and so large that you can't transfer them to your iPhone. As a result how do you relink them with the lap list?

2. Some of my laps didn't register as one lap but as two laps (twice around the track before logging it on the lap list). Is there a way to split those?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: relink large files & splits

Post by Harry »

Hi,

LapTimer expects one video file per session. So to overlay an arbitrary lap from the session, you need to join the chunks using a video editor and transfer the complete file to the smartphone. In case you do not have enough space (and can't free it up temporarily - e.g. syncing and purging music / photos with a PC/Mac), you can align individual chunks: the first one will work directly - simply transfer it and Re-Link (see Video Documentation in case you haven't done that before - see www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). For chunk #2 and following, you need to remove the video placeholder from laps covered by chunk #2 first. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXjVb8nWCXI for a tutorial on how to add chunk #2 to the laps afterwards. I cannot recommend working with individual chunks. It can be quite confusing to select laps within the chunks. Do be successful doing this, you will need to set up kind of an excel sheet with lap times, plus times within the session (sync to full video) plus coverage by video chunks.

The second point is most probably an issue with GPS accuracy. To re-evaluate the lap splits, try the following: increase the Wide Corridor Expert Setting from 40 to e.g. 100 meters. Select the multi-lap from Lap List, scroll down to Data Recordings, and select Recalculate ‣ Verify Lap.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
carramrod
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by carramrod »

Harry, for the 4GB limit issue, would it be possible to use iMovie on my iPhone to join the files? Then re-link the session? It seems like it should work ;)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

carramrod wrote:Harry, for the 4GB limit issue, would it be possible to use iMovie on my iPhone to join the files? Then re-link the session? It seems like it should work ;)
I can't say, but it is worth a try. Take care not not add extra frames or delete some. This will screw up sync offsets.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
anthonymckay
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by anthonymckay »

If you have a Mac computer, you can do this with Quicktime Player. I just made a quick screen recording showing the process. Basically open the first clip, then drop and drag the other clips onto the QuickTime Player video playback window. This will create a timeline of clips, you can then export this as a single video and then use iTunes to drop this back into Harry's Laptimer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX5-rX_KIjA