Support/connectivity for OBDlink MX Bluethooth

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
autodaily0999
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Support/connectivity for OBDlink MX Bluethooth

Post by autodaily0999 »

Hi,

I have a question regarding the OBDlink MX bluetooth with v22 Harry's lap timer. The vehicle I am using it on, is an Australian Spec Base Model 2013 Mazda 3 BL Neo Automatic.

I have recently downloaded v22 of Harry's Lap Timer, and paired with the OBDlink MX Bluetooth adaptor and struggled to get a good transfer rate. My current phone is an Android LG V30+ Dual Sim. In v22 on the engine screen, the live Rate transfer display showed only a maximum of 0.2Hz. I initially was wondering if this was isolated to only the LG V30+ dual sim, with it running android 8.0. I have used the MX bluetooth adaptor since approximately 2014/2015, with my last pairing with v20 Harry's Laptimer on a HTC One M7 model. With this pairing, I used it on track days and such. I did a test with it after seeing the condition of the V30+, as I have not updated HLT on this phone, and the live transfer rate was approximately 30Hz.

To further confirm any suspicions, I have also installed Harry's GPS Buddy that runs on the v21 setup, and I was able to get approximately 10hz transfer rate between the adapter and the app on the LG V30+. Lastly, I installed v22 Harry's Laptimer on a Nokia 5 with android 7.1.1 to see if conditions would change. I got a prompt for 13hz in the sensor screen, but when driving, it resulted back to a transfer rate of 0.1hz/0.2hz.

I also did a search for any users posting enquiries about the OBDlink MX with harry's lap timer, and the last post was on this forum in 2017 about it's transfer speed.

Thus, my question is, has support for OBDLink MX - Bluetooth or otherwise, dropped or compatibility dropped for v22 Harry's Laptimer, or is it an adaptor error, or otherwise? I understand I might be the only one asking this question, but any advice on this issue would be helpful.
Should the adaptor be not suited for this purpose with a conclusive answer, I will look at finding a newer spec adaptor, or a different solution altogether.

Thank you for your time.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Support/connectivity for OBDlink MX Bluethooth

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Two possible reasons: 1) you have some other app running in background accessing the adapter. Theses adapters cannot handle more than one client, so conflicts will lead to drop outs and other issues. To fix, kill or uninstall all apps accessing the OBDLink adapter. 2) LapTimer v22's OBD implementation is quite sophisticated and may use a feature the adapter does not work well with you specific car. To trouble shoot this, we need to log the conversation. This can be done once Harry's GPS/OBD Buddy v22 is available: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1500&p=7498#p7498

- Harry
Image Image Image Image