Problems with videos on external memory card

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
hans_t
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Problems with videos on external memory card

Post by hans_t »

I'm using HLT Petrolhead v21.2 on a Samsung S7 with Android 8.0.0. Since my internal S7 memory is rather small, I entered an external memory card in my S7.

I have set HLT in the expert settings to record videos in a certain folder on the external memory card. However, when trying to view the videos, HLT is configured to only search for videos in the default folder in the internal memory. The video data appear to be properly saved in the set folder on the external card, but HLT for video display appears to only try to read data from the internal memory. HLT worked well until end of Oct. 2017 when I used for the last time before the winter break. As of spring 2018 I observe the above discribed issue. The path I set on the external memory card is ~\Android\data\com.harrys.laptimer\files\Movies.

It seems to me as if HLT disregarded the path set for storing video data when trying to read video data.

Thanks for your help.

Hans
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with videos on external memory card

Post by Harry »

Please replace the tilde ~ by the physical user directory. And do not use windows directory separators "\" and use the Unix slash "/" instead. Android is actually Unix. ;-) Once you have set a correct path here, *and have restarted* LapTimer, you should see a new section showing videos in this path in LapTimer ‣ Analysis ‣ Videos.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
hans_t
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by hans_t »

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, I never know which way round the slashes have to be used. In 'expert settings', 'custom video directory' I did enter the directory path correctly. As I wrote, HLT does record the videos correctly in the set folder. The set directora on my memory card reads:
/storage/2AF5-DB77/Android/data/com.harrys.laptimerpro/files/Movies

The default path concerning the internal memory is:
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.harrys.laptimerpro/files/Movies

I have been to three different tracks this year, using Laptimer, and the result is always the same. The videos are stored in the above first path. However, in 'Analysis (Auswertung)' -> Videos the external memory card is not listed. I can nonetheless display the contents of the external memcard with e. g. ES File Explorer App. I can even watch the videos with any video display app except for Laptimer. Of course, I have also restarted Laptimer several times this year or even only today. In 'Analysis' -> 'laps' no video appears to be associated to the respective lap. Video preview displays a large "NO" together with a camera symbol.
hans_t
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by hans_t »

I removed the memory card and re-inserted it into the phone, and I forcefully stopped Laptimer in "settings" -> "apps". Now it appears to be working. I can watch the videos with overlays in laptimer. Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Hans
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that‘s what I wanted to suggest next. Expert Settings are not that fine honed like other LapTimer functions. Several of them require an app cold start to have an effect.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
hans_t
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by hans_t »

Assuming that others may be interested: most probably the phenomenon reported above was due to an overall Samsung software update. I received another such general software update for my S7 phone yesterday. Usually, after such a software update, the phone does recognize the existence of my external mem card, but is unable to read it. The phone then recommends to format the ext. mem card, which I never do. Restarting the phone usually resolves this issue to the extent that the ext. mem card can be read by the phone. I then trust(ed) that the ext. mem card was working fine. However, the ext. mem card, although retrievable for file explorers, after general phone software updates may remain inaccessible for individual apps, such as Laptimer in my above case. I think that was the most likely cause of the trouble.