iPhone 4 is getting very got during video recording

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Aussie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

iPhone 4 is getting very got during video recording

Post by Aussie »

Hello

I noticed that the iPhone 4 (placed in the Tomtom car kit) is getting very hot during video recording inside the LapTimer. Yesterday I tried to record a longer video, after aprox. 20 minutes the phone shut down during recording! As I took it out of the Tomtom kit, is was that hot that I burned my fingers :o

This does not happen while recording videos with the built in video app. Any ideas what the problem could be?

It's a iPhone 4 with 16Gig, no other app running. LapTimer is the acctual pro version.

Oliver
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iPhone 4 is getting very got during video recording

Post by Harry »

Actually the iPhone is getting very hot when a WLAN is connected. This is due to the power consumption needed for WLANs in general. I had no observations / reports on situations with video recording so far. Recording videos, running the screen overlay, and the LapTimer's complete GPS engine in the background will certainly put a lot of load on the device. So this is probably the downside of using all the device's feature at the same time...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Aussie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Aussie »

Hello Harry

during the recording I tested yesterday I had no WLAN connection, so I assume it's because of the processor load. As I got my Kiwi today, I will run another test tomorrow. I will let you know the results.

Oliver
Aussie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Aussie »

Hello Harry

today I did another test. I also connected the Kiwi WiFi to get all the nice overlay data in the recorded video. Before I started, I termintated all the other apps so LapTimer was the only app running.

When I passed the preset start/stop marker, LapTimer started recording. After aprox 4 to 5 minutes the overheat symbol was displayed (the yellow triangle the an exlamation mark) and the phone swiched off. There was no video saved :-( I did try a second time, with exactly the same result.

I assume it's a problem with my hardware. I will visit an Apple Genius tomorrow, hopefully they will replace my phone.

Regards, Oliver
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, I think so. I did quite extensive testing with my iPhone 4 including video and OBD WLAN. The phone became very warm, but did never quit.

Thanks for the feedback and good luck.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Aussie
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Aussie »

Hello Harry

Apple replaced my iPhone today. I just did a testrun. I was able to record a 13 min. video without any problems. The phone just gets slightly warm, but not hot.

Regards and a nice weekend, Oliver