iOs and GoPro video sync and exporting laps

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: iOs and GoPro video sync and exporting laps

Post by Harry »

No, in case LapTimer triggers an action cam recording it will expect a full session length video (say, vid.mp4) and will store sync information accordingly. If the action cam stores the vid as vid1.mp4, vid2.mp4, vid3.mp4, join these to vid.mp4, transfer it to the smartphone and re-link the video. This will update all laps with the video - no sync required.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Cool will give that a go next and see what I see....
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Okay I'm using a gopro so my files are named like this

GP013228.mp4
GP023228.mp4
GP033228.mp4

So it looks like they're GPxxYYYY.mp4

To make sure it links properly what would I name the merged file?

thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Any name (but please do not add accent characters or spaces currently). You will select a lap showing a place holder, select the place holder, and select Re-Link (cam with shadow cam) to link the video. In the video list coming up, you will select the video whatever it is named.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Okay so I joined the segments into a full session, I now have on video file on my desktop at 3,593,764KB in size. I then copied this to Harry's on my phone using iTunes to put it into the sandbox as I couldn't figure out how to do it anyother way.

Harry's show's the video in the sandbox and I relinked to it, but it refuses to play anything.

When I look under video list I see a file the size I'm expecting but it has a red bang next to it and says "No <Camera Icon>" All I did was join the two files using MP4 Joiner. I produce a single MP4 that plays fine on my computer.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

But it does not seem to be considered valid by your iPhone. Try a different joiner, the one you have used is probably not compatible with your iPhone's decoders.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

I've tried two different joiners so far, and the result has been the same, MP4 Joiner and Aimersoft's video suite my understanding of looking at the files was they did not modify the format. I'll see what else I can find that does this.

MP4Joiner specifically says that it joins files without re-encoding or quality loss, (https://www.mp4joiner.org/en/)do MP4s from a GoPro natively work on the phone or do I need to re-encode them?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GoPro videos can be processed by iPhones usually. I can’t comment on the last gimmick provided, but standard formats will be fine.

One joiner working is Handbrake - a ffmpeg based free tool.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case a lossless join (no decoding / encoding) does not work, try one decoding and encoding again. This will make sure you get a fresh structure.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Okay did that, got it on the phone now unfortunately in those attempts I've now lost the assocaiation to the files from Harrys, it no longer shows the video icon :(