Drop WiFi connection with Hero 5

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
zmaniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Drop WiFi connection with Hero 5

Post by zmaniac »

I'm running HLT on iPhone 7, Kiwi3 OBD, Hero 5. When I start a session, all is good. Strong WiFI connection, green and blue dots blinking on Camera icon in Timer view, etc. HLT records about 10 minutes of video data (4 or 5 laps), then I assume the WiFi connection drops while I am still driving. Back in the pits, in lap list, a camera icon only shows for the first couple of laps, and the WiFi is no longer connected to the Hero5.

I know there was some concern that OBDs using WiFi could create interference, but the Kiwi3 is a bluetooth device, right?

????
Please advise. Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Drop WiFi connection with Hero 5

Post by Harry »

Try disconnecting the Kiwi and turn off BT to check if this is the reason (it should not be).

Dropping WiFi connections are usually triggered by the smartphone's WiFi handling. If e.g. a known WiFi network is passed, the smartphone may switch to this WiFi (and lose the connection to the HERO). HERO connections are not preferred by a smartphone because they do not allow Internet access. For Android, you may get a prompt you are not connected to Internet when connecting to your HERO. Confirm you want to stay with this WiFi in case you get this prompt.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
zmaniac
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by zmaniac »

Hi Harry,

Thanks for the prompt response. If I turn off Bluetooth, will that create problems communicating with the Hero5 from my iPhone? My imperfect understanding of how the Hero5 works is that it uses both Bluetooth AND WiFi to talk to other devices.

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GoPro has never fully revealed how they use BT and WiFi in combination. Both are used during setup, but LapTimer uses WiFi only.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image