No Throttle/Temp Data on BMW

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
lagunak47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

No Throttle/Temp Data on BMW

Post by lagunak47 »

Hi All/Harry,

Have a track day coming up and trying to get the app sorted with my e60 (07) BMW 550i. I purchased the app for iphone as well as the kiwi 3 obd dongle. A couple issues I'm having.
1. There is no Throttle information coming through (as well as temperature, hp etc) however the rpms do come through but...
2. The rpms are laggy (about a full second slower)

I've gone through each of the throttle position options (default, a,b, etc) and none of them work. Also the refresh rate is 2hz if that makes a difference.

Thank you so much!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No Throttle/Temp Data on BMW

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please have a look into the Kiwi's sensor information (Sensor List ‣ Kiwi ‣ Info). It will show PIDs available, usually it will be "D". To get HP, you will need to add a couple of vehicle data. Zero TPS will make zero HP too.

OBD data will always look laggy in real time. You'd need something like 30 Hz update rates to get a display like that shown in your dashboard - which is not feasible for OBD II.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lagunak47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lagunak47 »

Still couldn’t get it to work. Ive attached the sensor info below but cant get any of the throttle, temps etc.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

lagunak47 wrote:Still couldn’t get it to work. Ive attached the sensor info below but cant get any of the throttle, temps etc.
It looks like the attachment is missing?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
lagunak47
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by lagunak47 »

DE05C121-0F8E-411B-B830-95531F78A1AE.png
DE05C121-0F8E-411B-B830-95531F78A1AE.png (3.45 MiB) Viewed 1317 times
Oops sorry. Also trottle positiona shows on my professional bmw scanner in real time so i know it works.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It looks like your car does not pass any standard throttle PID (0x11, 0x47, 0x48, 0x49, 0x4a, 0x4b)... That's actually the first car like this I have ever seen. Please double check you have not excluded the PID in OBD Tweaks, but most probably, you are out of luck currently.

Whether a proprietary BMW tools displays throttle or not, is not relevant for standard OBD II operation. You may be aware many cars display oil temperature in the dashboard, but do not deliver it using the standard OBD II PID. Throttle is certainly available on your car's bus, but the manufacturer decided to not map it correctly.

You may try to find out the custom PID BMW uses for throttle. LapTimer v22 will allow you to add this manufacturer specific codes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image