Application shuts down

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
mason
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Application shuts down

Post by mason »

I have an issue with Harry’s Lap Timer Pro v14.4.2 running on an iPhone 4S, Software 5.0.1(9A405), available Storage 13.1 GB, shutting down while in use. I’ve been to the track 3 times with my iPhone 4S and every time I’ve experienced an episode where the application mysteriously shuts down while I’m on track.

I have the iPhone mounted to a TomTom mount and the first two times I was using it with the TomTom GPS, Kiwi WiFi and shooting video. This last time (yesterday) I had it mounted using the TomTom but didn’t have the TomTom plugged in as I was using a Dual XGPS150 at 5hz.

I would start the application, place it in auto and start lapping. After about 5 min of lapping I noticed that the screen was black and when I came I found that the application had shut down. Once I restarted the application I found that it had stored the laps until the shutdown.

Also, today while trying to delete some slow laps from the application I had it close unexpectedly at least once.

Before I started using the 4S and Pro I had used a 3GS and Standard Lap Timer without any issues (with TomTom).
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Application shuts down

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I need to look into the crash information to help. Will send a PM to you.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cgroppi
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by cgroppi »

Mason,

Are you somewhere warm? I have big issues with my iPhone 4 overheating and shutting down in Arizona. This is with autocross. I have found the following things help:

1. Don't turn on video mode until you need it.
2. Don't let the phone sit in the windshield mount and get baked in the sun. Remove when not using the app and put it in the shade.
3. Don't hook the phone up to a charging source while using laptimer.
4. Use some painter's tape to shade the phone from the sun when in the windshield mount.

These all help, but its winter here and I still need to do them all to keep the app running. I'm in the process of making a Peltier cooler system for the phone to keep it going in the summer.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

There is quite a variance for this overheating between iPhones. Some run into problems, others do not.

In addition to the proposed energy savings, you may do the following:
  1. Mount your iPhone near one of your air fans
  2. Reduce brightness of screen
  3. Turn off WLAN (in case it is on)
  4. Turn on flight mode (in case you have an external GPS connected)
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Vonschmidt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Vonschmidt »

I am having an issue with the software not booting up at all. It gets the the start your engins screen and simply shuts down. 5.1 64 gig I phone 16 gig free
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Probably a completely different topic... iOS kills apps in case they need too much time for startup. I have tried to move all time intensive actions behind the startup sequence, but there probably still actions performed that need too much time. I'd suggest to free up memory by simply rebooting your iPhone and start LT again. Doing this, LT has the necessary resources to perform (whatever it does in your configuration) within the time iOS allows.

For posts like this, please always add iPhone version, available storage and memory, version numbers etc. All the stuff I have added to the Contact notes generated from within LT. This helps a lot understanding the circumstances. Thanks.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Vonschmidt
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Vonschmidt »

Harry. I was running IOS 5.1 on an iPhone 4 with 16 gig free. As I was t the track and really needed the current days times I deleted and then reinstalled the app. It then worked fine again so it may be the amount of recording hi had done over the past two days.

Some other housekeeping issues. The phone seems to lose link with my kiwi wifi often after a run is done. You have to exit the app and then restart it and then it works fine until the next run is completed. Also now that you have one long video stream the file sizes grow quickly. After I select and store in photo memory all the overlays I want for a particular set of runs is there a way to delete the video file but still maintain the lap data.

All said this is an amazing lap and the new version is a rocket leap forward. Thank you so much for taking the time to build such a great tool. I am interested in how it will overlay with circuit tools, if you have any experience on harvesting the data please let me know if not I'll just struggle through it and try and write some documentation for you.

Keep up the great work.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please note the Kiwi does not automatically reconnect in v15 if LapTimer has been sent to background. There will be a bug fix available soon (v15.0.1). In general the connection to Kiwi has been discussed a lot. Here are the official settings published by PLX: http://www.plxdevices.com/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=5645 In addition, there have been some communication issues / incompatibilities between LapTimer and all ELM327 based devices. These were fixed in v14. Finally, I had the problem with more than one iPhone / iPad contacting the Kiwi - which leads to line drops. So please make sure you turn off Wifi for all i-gadgets except the one you have LT running on.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Crempog
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Crempog »

Hi Harry,

I'm having a similar issue to the above users; I'm running LT v15.0.3 running on an iPhone 3GS, iOS v4.3.5 (8L1), available Storage 3.6 GB.

I've done two trackdays since buying the app about 3 weeks ago, and in both instances the timer autostarts correctly and then the app shuts down after 3 laps (these laps are saved when I re-open LT). Any suggestions on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated, as apart from this error I think the app is fantastic and I can't wait to use it to its full potential!

On a different note, I've also noticed that my best lap time at Llandow Circuit (yesterday, 12th May) is 00:51.73 on my lap list, however, only my warm up lap (01:09:13) is listed in the Llandow Hall of Fame.... not that I think for one second that I'm anywhere near the quickest on Llandow (!), but I think something may be up with how the hall of fame is updating, as currently none of the times are sub 60 secs, yet most cars lap Llandow in less than this (the quickest Caterhams etc usually lap in the 42 sec mark).

Thanks in advance for your help....

Simon
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

To understand the first issue, please send me a note from within LapTimer (Contact button - part of the blue communication center button in the About View). This will allow me to understand your configuration.

On the second: Hall of Fame entries are send online when they happen, they are not buffered for transfer in cases you do not have a connection. So the most common reason for an entry missing is you had not net access when lapping. I plan to add an 'after the fact' synchronization in the next major release.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image