HLT doesn't record acceleration data when using external GPS

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

HLT doesn't record acceleration data when using external GPS

Post by steved0x »

I've been using HLT for a couple of years now on Android with a Qstarz 818XT gps running at 5 & 10 hz. The last 2 times (December and this weekend) I notice the following issue:

If I run HLT with no external GPS, I get gforces recorded and displayed in the video feedback and on the map

If I use the external GPS, then I get no Accel data recorded on the video and in the map.

In sensor view it shows the Accel sensor connected, and if I go to the race screen, I see Accel data that changes if I wiggle my phone.

Any idea of things to check?

Thanks!

Steve
masuriano
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: HLT doesn't record acceleration data when using external GPS

Post by masuriano »

I am having the same problem on my Android phone (Pixel 2 XL). I always use an external GPS (Dual SkyPro) and lately I have not gotten any G-Force data. I was at the track on December 21, 2017 and January 6, 2018. I did not get any G-Force data on either day. The sensor list did indicate that it was using the phones accelerometer on both days. This used to work great prior to this.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case no acceleration is recorded, please close / restart the app. This will be some issue with accessing the sensor or internal status. As the combination of sensor sources is completely reworked for v22 (Spring 2018) currently, I'd rather wait for this release before I dive into old code again.

You can create acceleration data from GPS any time by selecting Lap List ‣ your lap ‣ Recalculate ‣ Acceleration.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by steved0x »

That works for me, thank you.

Interestingly, there does seem to be Accel data in the charts view for those sessions.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you see data in the G-G before running the Recalculate, there is data recorded. So where is this data missing for you?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by steved0x »

The accel data seems to record only a few points during a lap, maybe 5-10 points displayed on the chart view that shows dots in a circle for accel data. I don't know if I have a screenshot since I factory reset my phone as an attempted fix and the sessions I ran last week I recalculated all the accel data using GPS.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please enable Manual Timing (which will give you Start/Stop buttons in Timer View) in LapTimer's Settings. Record a section next time you drive and export the result to .hlptrl. Send it to Harry@gps-laptimer.de and include a link to this thread. I will have a look into it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by steved0x »

I found one I didn't recalculated, it seems to show accel data in the charts but doesn't show in the track outline and doesn't display in the video playback.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zU2Lx- ... p=drivesdk
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by steved0x »

Sorry didn't see your reply, can you get the link from here?

Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, got it. There is indeed no acceleration recorded. Has the smartphone been mounted to the windscreen as shown in illustration #3 and #4 of LapTimer's Quick Reference? And is Acceleration / Calibration set to Auto Preset? Otherwise, please use calculated acceleration for now. Once I announce the v22 beta, please join and we can check if there is some issue with your device type.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image