HLT switches my diesel to OTTO

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Mateusz
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

HLT switches my diesel to OTTO

Post by Mateusz »

When investigating surprisingly high PS readings of my Galaxy 2.0 tdci, I realised the car settings automatically switch from turbo diesel to OTTO. It must be coming from OBD2 handshake. Can it be ignored? What difference does the engine type make?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HLT switches my diesel to OTTO

Post by Harry »

The engine type influences power and consumption calculation. Otto engines are easy to calculate from MAF (and MAP) while Diesel engines require some assumptions on the diesel / air mixture. LapTimer retrieves the engine type from mode 1 pid 1 (DCT, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs). In case the car delivers some wrong information here, it is possible LapTimer switches to the wrong engine type. I need to add I haven't seen this so far...

You can work around this by disabling 0101 in LapTimer's Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks (exclude PIDs).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The engine type influences power and consumption calculation. Otto engines are easy to calculate from MAF (and MAP) while Diesel engines require some assumptions on the diesel / air mixture. LapTimer retrieves the engine type from mode 1 pid 1 (DCT, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs). In case the car delivers some wrong information here, it is possible LapTimer switches to the wrong engine type. I need to add I haven't seen this so far...

You can work around this by disabling 0101 in LapTimer's Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks (exclude PIDs).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Mateusz
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Mateusz »

I am glad to report that the workaround works well.
Horsepower calculation still points to a surprisingly high figures, but it is more sane for sure now. Diesel stays as diesel now.