GoPro Relink what am I missing?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

GoPro Relink what am I missing?

Post by gremlin »

Here's my workflow for using gopro video on my iPhone 6 (Running iOS 10 at the moment)
  • At the track, setup the gopro, turn on wifi, check that the iPhone is seeing the camera
  • Run Sessions
  • Back at home offload the files from the iPhone onto desktop
  • Identify which laps are part of the same session by looking for timestamps
  • Join each session into a single larger file using whatever software you have, so now you have an MP4 file per session
  • Attach the phone to the computer and launch iTunes
  • Click on the Phone icon and then over on the left click on the File Sharing Icon
  • In the list that comes up in the middle click on Harry's Laptimer to see all it's files
  • You may need to scroll both scroll bars on the right, but find the Add button and add the videos for your sessions
  • Now wait for the sync to take place
  • Once it's finished disconnect the phone, run Harry's look in Analysis -> Video List, here you should see your videos, but they'll be red-banged and not play
  • Go to your track day (Analysis -> Lap List) organise by sessions, select the session you want
Here's where I'm stuck. I click on the session, then I click on the last lap (in lap) and click "edit->add video" then select my session video and it's set to the end. I click on "Set" and then it says "Confirmation do you want to adjust all videos and sync points for the lap's sessions or the sync point for hte lap only?"

I clicked session because I want all the laps lined up.

The result is the video and data are way out of sync.

How to I get them to actually sync?

thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro Relink what am I missing?

Post by Harry »

When adding a video using Add Video, you are responsible to select the correct sync position in the video. In your case, this is the video frame showing the point in time when you passed the finish line for the last lap of the session you selected.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

I guess this is where I'm confused, I'm adding a video that LapTimer contrtolled the shooting off, I'm only adding it because there's no other way to get it into the software. How come it doesn't know where it started and stopped?

In this case what's the best practice, pick the last lap of the session and then find the end of that lap? I tried that I used the last lap (that's grey'd out since it never passed start finish) and then set that to the end of the video, and that also did not work.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case LapTimer controlled the video recording, you will see a video placeholder in each lap's details view. In this situation, select the placeholder, press Re-Link, and select the video transferred to the phone. In this case, a detailed sync is not necessary.

In case LapTimer has not controlled the video recording (or something failed), you will not get a placeholder and you need to go through the Add Video procedure. I recommend to use the last complete lap for the sync exercise, not the incomplete cool down lap.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Okay, I did not see a placeholder, it must have been removed at some point, It did definitely control shooting of the video, as I didn't do it manually.

Can you give me a best practice for which lap of a session to select, and how to line it up. Unfortunately as it put the phone in portrait mode you can't really see well enough to see the start finish go by, and after you mess with transport controls a couple of times it stops updating the preview so you can't actually use the video feed at all.

What I'm wondering is, do I look for the last complete lap, use that one from the session and figure out the time stamp, then set that end point by looking at the last timed lap in the session, then when it asks tell it to update the entire session?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Personally, I prefer aligning the last complete lap of a session. In case you have the cool down lap included in your recordings, you can align this lap to the videos‘s end too. Don‘t try to align the precise sync using the frame shown. Select the position matching the lap‘a end roughly and agree to align the full session. Return to the lap details dialog and use the Play button to verify the sync. In case it is off, make a guess how many tenth seconds it is and return to adjust sync using the arrow buttons (and ignore the video frame shown completely). To adjust a synced video, select the video thumbnail shown in lap details and scroll to the bottom. Here, you will see the list of sync points. Select any of this rows to do the adjustment. Repeat until it is fine.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

Okay I'll see if that get's it close. It'd be really nice if (A) the bug were fixed where it stops updating the video as you move through it so you had an idea as you were close, and (B) if you could see that video in landscape and not just portrait, seems weird that it rotates back when you go there.

Another question then. I see on one of my devices with this data on it (I have many) I do see a video camera but only on the first lap of the session. I click on the video labelled "Master" per your instructions and I see spin the icon in the status bar that indicates "Getting data" it'll do that for a minute or two, then I get a "Video Details" page which shows the Video as Offline, no where in ther eis there a Relink button.

Clicking on the video in that screen takes me a message that says

"Error: Master video either is not available, or misses the video or audio track. Please check Video List for alternatives or download". And then it has an OK button. But at this point you can't click anything it's just hung
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Re-Link button is shown in case the video linked to the lap is either a MultiCam placeholder (i.e. a link added by LapTimer when recording with an external cam), or if the video is a local file system link. In case you do not see a Re-Link button (in the bottom of the screen for iOS or in the top right action menu for Android) this condition is probably not met? Post a video details snapshot in case you can't resolve it or remove the video link altogether and add the video from scratch. The reason for the network access shown in the status bar may be you have linked an external link (http://) to your lap manually?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gremlin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gremlin »

If I remove the video all together then I'll be right back where I am on the other device right? The video won't line up.

Am I in the minority in experiencing a lot of issues around this area? The screen freezing so you can't actually see frames change? The other screen that literally just hangs and you have to quit the app. I so far have not succeeded in using an external video in the app at all. I guess i feel like if the app controlled the camera and I point to a video that I've put in it's sandbox and say "Hey this is the video you made for this session", it seems like that's what the documentation says will happen but it doesn't

I forgot to mention this but I'm on iOS 11.1.1 on the phone that freezes all the time (an iPhone 8) I'm also trying to setup an old 6 to use just for telemetry gathering and that one is on iOS 11 (but not sure of the version and it's not with me). I have issues on all the devices.

thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

See "Other Issues" in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1693&p=8732#p8732 please. Freezes can occur in case you have hundreds or thousands of video clips in your media library. Otherwise it should be just a question of handling and system resources available. The process to add external footage can be cumbersome but it very stable.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image