lap timer says ready, doesn't record laps

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
krusovice
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

lap timer says ready, doesn't record laps

Post by krusovice »

Hello,
I am running Laptimer Grand Prix edition, V21.0.11 on an iPhone 4S and using the Dual external GPS puck. It did start the GoPro, but I didn't use the internal camera.

I raced at Brainerd International Raceway, Competition Course, in Brainerd, MN, USA this past weekend. If it matters, the first race was 8 hours and the second was 7 hours.

The first day I started the lap timer in the pits by pushing "start". It recorded laps for a while, but then the timer just kept going. We restarted it in the car by pushing stop and start, but it didn't fix it.

The second day, we tried starting it on track, and also tried letting it start itself. No luck.

I love the product.

Any idea what would fix this?

Thanks
Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: lap timer says ready, doesn't record laps

Post by Harry »

Two possible reasons only the external cam has been triggered:

1) You have selected "external only" operation instead of "internal and external" operation in Timer ‣ Video ‣ Video Operation
2) Permission to access the cam or microphone has not been granted to LapTimer. Please goto the Settings app and check your privacy settings.

Not sure what made LapTimer not start / stop automatically. I assume you had the Brainerd track set loaded front up? The remaining reason it didn't work is some issue with GPS reception (see illustration #3 in Quick Reference). In case you have a long manual recording, please try to split it into laps after the fact: LapTimer ‣ Analysis ‣ Lap List ‣ long lap ‣ Recalculate ‣ Verify Lap.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
krusovice
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by krusovice »

It was set to just use the GoPro, and the GoPro said it was ready. Indeed, it started recording on the GoPro. It did not ask for any further permissions. (I don't have the phone with me to double check, but it seems to work, and I didn't want to record video to the phone.)

And, yes, the track was loaded and it was "green" in set up.

I will have to try splitting laps when I get home. However, I'd really like it to work in the car. We use it during racing for setting pace for fuel consumption and strategy.

GPS reception should be excellent. The Dual is connected ("green" in set up screen) and it is mounted below the front windshield with a clear view to the heavens.

Thanks for the help.

Mark
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well, the problem is somewhere in GPS reception, accessory connection, or the track set. In case you have a recording beyond one lap (because it didn't stop/start as expected), please export it to KML and HLPTRL and send it to me. I will have a look into it.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This looks like an issue with the track set (and accurate GPSes). In the attachment below, you can see the start / finish trigger is places in the pits, not on the track. For receivers with high accuracy, the corridor used for trigger detection is narrower than for low accuracies (like the internal GPS). This means missing trigger precision is not compensated by a larger corridor... In this case, you simply passed the trigger without an action.

We will revisit the track set definition and Monika will come back here once it is adjusted (and the track set can be reloaded).

For your existing recordings, please enlarge the Wide Detection Corridor to e.g. 100m (instead of 40) in Expert Settings. Select one of the multi laps in Lap List and tap Recalculate ‣ Verify Lap. This will run a re-detection. Agree to delete the old (multi) lap finally so these recordings do not disturb your list consistency.
RoadAmerica.jpg
RoadAmerica.jpg (96.95 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Monika
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Monika »

Hi,
both Brainerd configurations are now updated with start/finish line in a better position on the track.
Please update your loaded tracks:
Admin -> Add-ons, update the list with button top right.
Afterwards search e.g. "Brain" and reload the track you use.

- Monika
Harry's LapTimer Team
RacerEric
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RacerEric »

I repeatedly have the same problem. Timer says ready, but doesnt automatically trigger or time individual laps. I just end up with one continuous lap. I have tried starting manually, but same problem. Im not using any external GPS or cameras. Im using a Galaxy S6. It worked appropriately initially, but not now. Of note, at one of the tracks (willow springs) I have no cell signal.
RacerEric
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by RacerEric »

Sorry, forgot to add that the continuous lap is listed under laps, but no video exists. My Detection Corridor is set to 100.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hello,

Please go through this FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2
There are various issues which can lead to the named problem - all of them are listed in the FAQ.
In case you can't find a solution, please come back.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image