Can't connect GoPro Hero4 Session to Grand Prix Edition

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
rkneeshaw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Can't connect GoPro Hero4 Session to Grand Prix Edition

Post by rkneeshaw »

I can't seem to figure out how to get HLT to connect to my Hero4 Session.

I thought it was recording yesterday at an HPDE but I got nothing. Upon looking closer, when I'm on the Timer screen and touch video, and select external camera only, it says in red "no external cam connected currently".

I tried:
1. starting the gopro and making sure wifi mode was enabled and blinking blue on the gopro. HLT doesn't connect to it.
2. starting the gopro and making sure wifi mode was enabled and blinking blue on the gopro. Launched the GoPro app and confirmed I got a video preview from the gopro app. switched to HLT with the GoPro app running in the background. Wouldn't connect. Closed the gopro app, and HLT still wouldn't connect.
3. starting the gopro and making sure wifi mode was enabled and blinking blue on the gopro. Launched the GoPro app and confirmed I got a video preview from the gopro app. Closed the gopro app, launched HLT, HLT still wouldn't connect.
4. starting the gopro and making sure wifi mode was enabled and blinking blue on the gopro. Connected to the gopro wifi using the wifi control panel in android. HLT still doesn't connect.

I've read the documentation and it is older but still, I tried following it to the letter but I must be missing something.

Does anyone have a successful step by step they can share?

Android 6.0.1
GoPro Hero4 Session (latest firmware 2.0)
HLT Grand Prix v21.0.11
External cam set to "GoPro Hero4 Session" in settings, Hero3 password set correctly
ivegotpost
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Can't connect GoPro Hero4 Session to Grand Prix Edition

Post by ivegotpost »

did you put the gopros wireless password in the multicam options in settings?

I've just upgraded to Grand Prix for multicam and that caught me out at first too
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

ivegotpost wrote:did you put the gopros wireless password in the multicam options in settings?

I've just upgraded to Grand Prix for multicam and that caught me out at first too
The password is used for HERO3 cams only. But a second try is always a good idea! :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rkneeshaw
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by rkneeshaw »

Yep, I did try putting in the gopro's password anyway, just in case, and repeated the tests, and there was no change.

I've resorted to recording the video on the gopro manually, then at the end of the day I transfer the video from the GoPro to my computer, then to my smartphone's SDCard, then open HLT and manually sync the data and the video, then re-export from HLT and move it back to the computer for upload to youtube and archive.

GoPro studio sucks for splicing the 12-minute-max go-pro clips together, but I downloaded ffmpeg and one simple command line joins them together seamlessly, quickly, and flawlessly each time. But all that is another story.
immerlacken
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by immerlacken »

Hi rkneeshaw,

I am heading to the track this weekend and did an equipment test yesterday. I feel your pain getting GoPro connected to HLT. Here are some tips that I have used to help me get my GoPro connected:

GoPro App
-Open GoPro App on android
-select the 3 vertical bars and navigate to the camera.
-connect to your GoPro (should see video through GoPro App)
-once you see video close GoPro App (use android square then x to close app)

Android
-navigate to settings -> then WiFi then manually connect to GoPro WiFi
(this part is crucial because once you exit the go pro app, android closes the gopro wifi connection [android doesn't like wifi connections that don't have a connection to the internet])
-once you are connected to GoPro WiFi then close settings

HLT
-open HLT
-go to race
-go to timer
-here wait about 30 seconds (seems like HLT is checking and setting up other sensors)
-now click video
-select external camera and wait up to 30 seconds and it should pop up.

***the HLT steps assume you have selected the correct external cam and WIFI password in HLT settings

Happy Tracking!

specs
LG Aristo
android 7.0
GoPro Hero Session 5
HTL Grand Prix v21.2