Kiwi3 and XGPS160 BT on iOS (iPhone 6S) problems

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
warmmilk
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Kiwi3 and XGPS160 BT on iOS (iPhone 6S) problems

Post by warmmilk »

I've been using HLT with just the Kiwi3 OBD2 adapter for a while now and its been working great. I decided to add an XGPS160 to the mix to get better accuracy with timing and GPS speed and location and stuff.

But when I overlayed and exported the video (its also the same when I watch the video inside HLT), I noticed the rpms are very jumpy and also my speed to a degree (but my car is slow, so its hard to tell). Does the speed overlay default to GPS speed when the XGPS is connected? If not, is there a way to make it GPS instead of OBD2? If its GPS it would explain slight jumpiness.. I think...

My first thought was that its a BT bandwidth issue, but after searching on here, I saw a few posts by Harrys saying bandwidth isn't an issue with the approved/recommended addon's. I made sure the Kiwi3 was on its latest firmware as of yesterday. I didn't do anything with the XGPS160 though, does the firmware need to be updated on those? It was reading at 10Hz so I figured it was fine.

I confirmed that this isn't a new issue that started with the Kiwi3. On my last session of the day the XGPS disconnected somehow from my phone so I ran with only the Kiwi3, and it behaved like it has before I added the XGPS.

On a side note, is there a way to keep the XGPS from disconnecting? I was waiting in the pits a bit longer than usual and I'm assuming thats when it disconnected, but I didn't navigate away from HLT or anything, HLT was the primary app the whole time, the only active app actually.

Here's a video so you can see what I'm talking about
https://youtu.be/8t9mbyOfih0

Here's a video of how it is with the Kiwi3 only
https://youtu.be/EkXPg555Ta0
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Kiwi3 and XGPS160 BT on iOS (iPhone 6S) problems

Post by Harry »

This are interpolation artifacts you will experience with certain GPS / OBD update rate combinations. You may search for the discussion on the Expert Setting "OBD Extrapolation" here on the forum.

LapTimer's overlay dialog includes an option to use GPS speed (as usual, second page in Export ‣ Overlay Configuration on iOS, and far down in the scrollable screen on Android).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
warmmilk
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by warmmilk »

is this only an issue with BT? If I get the BadElf gps with the lightning connector will it go away?

I ended up returning the XGPS160 cause it kept disconnecting from my phone
warmmilk
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by warmmilk »

I don't see the GPS speed option here, I tried scrolling and what you see in the pic is all there is. I do remember seeing it somewhere while messing with the app before, but now that I want to export stuff I can't find it anymore...
IMG_6394.PNG
IMG_6394.PNG (84.51 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm sorry, I have moved this setting to LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Video Tweaks some time ago.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

warmmilk wrote:is this only an issue with BT? If I get the BadElf gps with the lightning connector will it go away?

As written above ("This are interpolation artifacts you will experience with certain GPS / OBD update rate combinations. You may search for the discussion on the Expert Setting "OBD Extrapolation" here on the forum."), the effect can occur for certain update rate combinations from GPS and OBD. As both the Bad Elf and the Dual come with 10 Hz, it will be the same. You can switch the Dual to 5 Hz, I assume you will get different results.

I have this on my list for a future release, but in involves quite massive changes.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
warmmilk
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by warmmilk »

Harry wrote:
warmmilk wrote:is this only an issue with BT? If I get the BadElf gps with the lightning connector will it go away?

As written above ("This are interpolation artifacts you will experience with certain GPS / OBD update rate combinations. You may search for the discussion on the Expert Setting "OBD Extrapolation" here on the forum."), the effect can occur for certain update rate combinations from GPS and OBD. As both the Bad Elf and the Dual come with 10 Hz, it will be the same. You can switch the Dual to 5 Hz, I assume you will get different results.

I have this on my list for a future release, but in involves quite massive changes.

- Harry
sorry for the late response, but you're telling me I paid an extra for the XPGS 160 to get the 10Hz but the solution to my problem is to switch it to 5Hz or what the XPGS 150A does for $50 less...? This might be something worth noting on your compatibility page... or is there a real solution that will work at 10Hz?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

What I'm telling you is called a "workaround" for the current situation. The upcoming version 22 of LapTimer will have this area reimplemented.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
warmmilk
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by warmmilk »

Harry wrote:What I'm telling you is called a "workaround" for the current situation. The upcoming version 22 of LapTimer will have this area reimplemented.

- Harry
Oh ok, thank you! Good to know you're working on it