Video overlay problem.

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Wertles
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Video overlay problem.

Post by Wertles »

I know this is all user error on my part but I can't seem to find out how to do what I want to do. I have a GoPro Hero 4 black edition, the SkyPro 160 GPS, Grand Prix edition, and iPhone 6S plus. I only use video from the GoPro. I capture all the data properly. I can see the video using the GoPro app but I can't seem to get the app to recognize the video to overlay. What am I doing wrong? I have read the handbook but can't seem to figure out where I am missing the boat so to speak. Also, is there a way to make one video of the whole session or can I only do one lap at a time.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video overlay problem.

Post by Harry »

To overlay a GoPro video, you need to transfer the video from the HERO's SD card to your iPhone and Re-Link the OFFLINE link in LapTimer with the video file transferred. The steps are described in Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

LapTimer records session long video. You can overlay all laps in a session to the video at once.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Wertles
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Wertles »

So I have the video transferred to my iPhone. It shows up in the video list under my camera roll but when it click on the video and go into the video details page and click on the video, it says "Error. Cannot find video selected, it has probably been moved to another place.....". I'm still doing something wrong. What's my next step or what page in the 29 written is the info I need. So much of that is not what I'm doing.
Wertles
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Wertles »

The other thing that may be screwing things up is that I don't think my time and date were correctly set on my GoPro. I'm looking at my afternoon session yesterday and in the video is showing the day before in the morning. Could that be a reason your app isn't recognizing the videos?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Wertles wrote:The other thing that may be screwing things up is that I don't think my time and date were correctly set on my GoPro. I'm looking at my afternoon session yesterday and in the video is showing the day before in the morning. Could that be a reason your app isn't recognizing the videos?
No, the date / time of the video cannot be used (it is probably not set correctly and missing time zone information).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Wertles wrote:So I have the video transferred to my iPhone. It shows up in the video list under my camera roll but when it click on the video and go into the video details page and click on the video, it says "Error. Cannot find video selected, it has probably been moved to another place.....". I'm still doing something wrong. What's my next step or what page in the 29 written is the info I need. So much of that is not what I'm doing.
Please read "Transfer Footage from Action Cam to Smartphone" and "Associate Video Transferred with Laps". One and a half page. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Wertles
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Wertles »

Thank you Harry for your help. I finally got the video to be right. Couldn't have done it without your help. I do have a few questions still though.

The GoPro splits the run session into two videos. I was able to get most of my runs on one video by recording in 720 and 30fps but some of my runs are longer and it still splits them after 25 minutes. I tried to link the last lap of the session to the second video but that did not seem to work. It started overlaying the data from the start of the session. Any ideas?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Joining the video and sync is actually not related. LapTimer assumes all videos come at full length from the beginning and stores sync points accordingly. In case you have changed a lap's sync point, please adjust the sync again and allow LapTimer to adjust all laps of the session when asked.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dgatzby
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Dgatzby »

I have the same problem as above, I have gone through your documentation several times. This step to transfer the video seems like it is impossible.

"Make sure both devices are connected to the Internet using a wifi connection (iCloud does not replicate while in a cellular networks only - that’s at least the default)"

Easy enough to have the phone logged into the internet with a wifi. It of course is logged in and working with the Apple Cloud. I am confused about "BOTH" devices. My GoPro can go wifi of course to link with the phone. Was looking at the GoPro app, am I required to use their GoPro Plus Service now at USD $4.99/month to use the "cloud"? Otherwise I am confused on how my GoPro can transfer its videos to the Apple Cloud? That cost seems like the GoPro Cloud. Every other setting has been checked and re-checked, your Harry's app just will not recognize the video. We even went deep and transferred the video manually to the Lap Timer "sandbox". Does not matter, can see the video first frame in the app in both sandbox and local. But get the error as above that it has been moved to another place.

Please don't tell me to read your documents again, because that is not the answer I am looking for.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No cloud needed (neither Apple's nor GoPro's), that probably a completely wrong path. The standard way to transfer a GoPro video is copying it from the GoPro to a PC first, and transfer it to your smartphone afterwards. Many of these steps depend on your configuration / PC and smartphone model - which I tried to cover in the document. For the GoPro to PC path, a SD card reader is recommended. For the PC to iPhone path, iTunes File Sharing is recommended. If you want to do yourself a favor, check the SD Card Lightning reader. It allows you to import videos from the GoPro's SD card directly into your iPhone's Photo library (which is accessible by LapTimer).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image