Camera Stabilization

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
HS_911
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Camera Stabilization

Post by HS_911 »

So far I used HLT on an iPod 5G (with external DualGPS). The video quality was very good. No complains at all.

However, today I used my iPhone 7 with the same mount in the same position (actually I switched during the day from iPod to iPhone).
The video quality is not acceptable at all the video vibrates/shakes very badly making the vids taken basically useless.

Is there a setting (Video stabilization?) in the iPhone or in HLT I need to activate?
Any other idea?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Camera Stabilization

Post by Harry »

Topic discussed frequently. Please have a look into www.gps-laptimer.de/compatibility/ios (Smartphone section) too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
HS_911
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by HS_911 »

Harry,

Thanks!

However, the question was in regard to iOS settings, not the hardware.

My hardware works PERFECTLY with the iPod 5G and also fits the iPhone 7 without complaints. Still, the vid from the iPhone 7 is lacking stabilization...

I was wondering if there is a software setting I have be missing.

Cheers,
H
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, it is a hardware issue. iPods never had image stabilization, your iPhone7 has. The problem is that image stabilization makes things worse on race tracks. It is designed to support recording using your hands.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I'm pretty sure the problem is high frequency vibration. Your hands filter that out. Image stabilization works for the low frequency of hand movement. A RAM mount, necessary to get accurate accelerometer data, doesn't. Drone cameras have similar problems. Soft rubber vibration isolation mounts are the solution for drones. Even if they were available for smartphones, I think they would have a bad effect on the accelerometer data.
gaskleppie
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gaskleppie »

I noticed the front camera is making better recordings then the rear camera.

Any further news on this? The images are pretty useless when you want to use the rear camera...
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The front camera is lower resolution and has a fixed focal length. Autofocus is one of the contributors to the problem. What with vibration, the camera can't decide where it needs to focus. If you could turn it off, it would help. But Apple and Android operating systems take turning autofocus off as a suggestion, not a command. They're where complaints should be directed. But don't hold your breath. For Apple and Google, the customer/user is seldom, if ever, right.
cmg3963
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cmg3963 »

After reading as much as I can on this topic, I just wanted to get confirmation (or not) of the conclusion that I have come to with regards to using the app on an iPhone 6+.

It would seem that there is no fix to the shaky video problem in my iPhone 6+ and that my only option, if I want to continue to use the app, is to go buy an Android phone rendering the app that I bought for my current iPhone useless. Is this correct?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

No, modern Android phones come with image stabilization just like iPhones.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
cmg3963
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cmg3963 »

Just so I am clear, are you implying that the video on an Android phone is just as bad the iPhone? If so, is syncing the video from my Gopro the only solid solution?