Automatic Pro doesn't work with Harry's LapTimer

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
LaptimeThis
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Automatic Pro doesn't work with Harry's LapTimer

Post by LaptimeThis »

Hello,

I bought an Automatic Pro: https://www.automatic.com/apps/harrys-laptimer/ and Harry's LapTimer last weekend. When I try to setup the connection between the Automatic Pro and Harry's Laptimer, I get into an infinite loop where launching Harry's Lap Timer takes me to the authorization page on Automatic Pro's website. Clicking on authorize there takes me to Harry's LapTimer and you get the general idea. I reached out to Automatic Pro support and they suggested I come post here.

Is there anything I can do to resolve the situation?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Pro doesn't work with Harry's LapTimer

Post by Harry »

Actually I'd sent you to Automatic to resolve the issue :-D

But jokes aside, the status of Automatic integration is as follows:

I have integrated their version 2 adapter two years ago. It has been kind of a proof of concept for both Automatic and me.

Due to the extended functionality, the Automatic requires a rather complex authorization mechanism. This part has been ported to LapTimer but is mostly functionality on Automatic's side. In case you get prompted to authorize again and again, authorization didn't work. So Automatic should be able to see in their logs what went wrong an probably reset some credentials.

The other part we learned is that the Automatic adapters are busy with their own functionality and cannot deliver the performance required to an app like LapTimer. LapTimer expects adapters to fully concentrate on a small set of racing relevant parameters. To get these it acceptable (or high) speeds, this is a full time job. As the Automatic is busy already, the result can be "ok" at most.

As a result, I cannot invest in Automatic's late devices (like the Pro) or an Android port any more. Despite the authorization issue the Pro may work nevertheless, but it is not maintained for Harry's LapTimer currently.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
krimb1
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: Automatic Pro doesn't work with Harry's LapTimer

Post by krimb1 »

Hi there!

Just wanted to chime in I was able to successfully pair a new Automatic Pro with Harry's LapTimer properly! Did not exhibit any of the aforementioned pairing issues.

Let me know if I can be of more help :)