Newbie - can't re-link video files (iOS) - Help

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
ckortane
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Newbie - can't re-link video files (iOS) - Help

Post by ckortane »

Only my second track weekend and 2nd time using Harry's laptimer...
Was able to successfully overlay complete 20min sessions first time, but ran into a bit of a snag

I first used gopro video files directly from gopro SD card. Problem is that the video was actually segmented into multiple files, so was only getting the overly for a few of my sessions laps

I realized I needed to merge the files, so I used the GoPro app on my Windows PC to merge the multi-part video into a single file.

Now, back in laptimer, I thought I could just go to the first lap in each session and click the "re-link" button again - but now that button will not appear

The first lap of each session now has an Overlaid Video - and its just a single lap. It says its located in the camera roll, but that file doesn't exist there - so not sure where the files are coming from.

I have copied over all 5x Merged Session videos back to my iPhone via iTunes/file share - and the videos show in the video list, but will not play (say can't be located)

Not sure what to do next - I have all my lap data - but now, seems like there is a "ghost one lap video" stuck in each session, and no way to reset so I can overlay the proper full session videos

please help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newbie - can't re-link video files (iOS) - Help

Post by Harry »

That's probably a conceptual misunderstanding. Initially, LapTimer stores one or more links to "raw" videos. This is the status just after completing a recording. For laps with a raw video associated, LapTimer displays a Play and an Export button. Play shows the raw video with a real time overlay of lap data, while Export creates a copy of a section of the raw video and adds overlays to it. This is actually a new video. After an "export overlay" has been completed, this overlaid video is associated to the lap to allow access. LapTimer will display this video instead or the original raw video. The buttons shown are Play and Revert now. Play does a video playback of the overlaid video.

Pressing Revert removes the association to the new overlaid video. After doing this, you will get access to the raw video again - including the option to re-link or overlay again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ckortane
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ckortane »

Thanks for the reply. I ended up exporting the sessions and then importing them in a clean install on my ipad. I was able to re-link the updated videos I created (merged so that each session was one video). But now I can only add video to the first lap of each session (only got the camera logo for 3 of the 4 sessions I imported).

If I click export it only shows the one lap, no additional laps can be chosen to extend the overlay to.

If I click on any following the first lap, there is no video section to delink either.

Any ideas?

Concerned that there is some corruption :(
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Check your laps are recognized to sit in a single session first: goto Lap List and select a By Session grouping first. In case the lap has other laps in the same session, LapTimer recognizes the session structure. Next, remove any videos linked (they seem to be wrong) and add a video to any of the laps in the session you can recognize. Using iOS, select the lap from Lap List, press Edit to allow video addition and continue with Add Video. For Android, use the Add Video item from the top right. Once added and synced, LapTimer will ask you whether it should align all other laps in this session too. Agree to this. Afterwards, you should be able to create multi lap overlays.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image