Issue with RaceCapture/Track and HLT, but can't reproduce with GPS Buddy

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Issue with RaceCapture/Track and HLT, but can't reproduce with GPS Buddy

Post by steved0x »

I've got the RaceCapture/Track from their Kickstarter campaign, and have it configured according to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4244

I have everything set to 10Hz, the GPS, and also the two OBD channels (RPM and TPS). All of the Accelerometers, telemetry, etc are disable according to that thread.

If I open up HLT and go to the sensor view I can see that I am connected at 10 Hz for both the GPS and the OBDII. After a few seconds, the rate starts to fall, 9, 8, 7, 6, etc down to zero and then it just says "connected" with no refresh rate. if I am in GPS view, at this time it drops and switches to the integrated phone GPS (Android Amazon BLU). Before it drops out I am also able to receive RPM and TPS data from the OBD portion.

I decided to capture a log with GPS Buddy, but I can't reproduce the issue, when I use GPS buddy, it connects at 10Hz and keeps receiving updates at this rate, and doesn't fall to zero like it does with HLT. Both HLT and GPS Buddy have the default expert settings and I don't think I have messed with any of the other settings except to enable Wifi sensors (which may be the default anyway)

If I quickly switch from HLT to GPS buddy while the update rate is falling, the rate will rise back to 10 Hz in GPS Buddy. But if it falls all the way to 0 and then drops in HLT, it can take a few moments before it re-appears in GPS Buddy.

Firmware in RaceCapture is the 2.11.0 and HLT is the Grand Prix edition, 21.0.5. Phone is Amazon Android BLU R1 HD (Fast 1.3 GHz quad-core MediaTek 6735 ARM Cortex processor with 16 GB Internal memory and 2 GB RAM). Car is 2000 Porsche Boxster S.

Do you have an advice on settings to check or things to try to see if I can determine why it appears to work with GPS Buddy but not with HLT? I'd really like to get that 10Hz GPS. I can make a video of the issue if that would provide any useful information, or capture a log.

Thanks,

Steve

PS Loving HLT, I have shaved off several seconds at all the tracks I have been to since using it.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Issue with RaceCapture/Track and HLT, but can't reproduce with GPS Buddy

Post by Harry »

The drop in update rate means LapTimer does not receive data after a certain time (or connection is dropped). The reason it falls like 9, 8, ... is due to some smoothing applied. In reality it is falling from 10 to 0.

As the LapTimer and Buddy implementation are actually the same, this will be some wired configuration or other conflict. Please make sure you kill any apps running in background, ASL's app in particular. It should not be necessary to kill Buddy, but do it nevertheless and try again.

Harry
Image Image Image Image