Basic operation

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
krell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Basic operation

Post by krell »

Hi Harry,

I purchased the professional lap timer last fall and am looking to get the most from it this upcoming track season. However I'm unable to get it to lock on to any GPS information utilizing the on board iPhone 4 sensor. I never have any signal strength as indicated on the GPS screen, which obviously renders the app useless. I suspect there's something obvious that I'm missing, and am hoping you can shine some light on the issue. I have read the online information and it seems like it should lock on to a signal once the app is running.

Additionally, based on your recommendation, I'll likely be purchasing a mount with integral sensor to improve the phones GPS accuracy. You've mentioned a TomTom kit, and was looking at this one. I'd like to use the integral video recording and need a mount that won't block the iPhone's cameral. I'm looking at this one, which appears to fit my need. Is what you are using as well?
http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-iPhone-Ada ... 556&sr=1-5
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Basic operation

Post by Harry »

Hi,

You have probably disabled GPS usage for LapTimer accidentally. Please goto the Settings app, select Location Services and make sure that Location Services are enabled in general and for LapTimer.

The mount linked is the TomTon mount and works well (including Video).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
krell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by krell »

i considered that the GPS function may be turned off, but when I launch the Google Maps app that comes on the phone, it identifies my location right away.

When you say "settings app", are you referring to tapping the 'more' button in the bottom row, then Settings? Because I have no "Location Settings" option within that menu.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It the Settings app, not the LapTimer settings. The one that came with your iPhone / the one with the gray / silver gears.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
krell
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by krell »

Harry wrote:It the Settings app, not the LapTimer settings. The one that came with your iPhone / the one with the gray / silver gears.

- Harry
That was it! I've never been in the Location Services screen before so I'm uncertain how it was turned off. Regardless, it's all good.

The forum is a great way to post questions and get answers. Thanks for taking the time to help out!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For every app that requests access to the location service, your iPhone asks you when started the first time. Pressing 'No' in this situation turns off the location service. This question is issued for security reasons, you probably do not want every app to have too much information on your movements.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
evoconvert
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by evoconvert »

Hi Harry

Having the same problem as the other user on this page. Can not get any GPS or sat signal. But can get Google maps location no problem. Have checked settings in I Phone app ...but makes no difference.

Main screen shows "NO FIX" and y2 yellow bars next to it to the left and 4 white bars to the right.

Hope you can help.

NB: Have been able to view google map in "lap timer" and position start finish points for new track etc.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please go into the Settings App (the one with the gray gears) and check the Location Services.

- Harald
Image Image Image Image
evoconvert
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by evoconvert »

Hi harry

Have already checked them

Loc services =ON
Lap Timer = ON

???
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please let us check what you see exactly. The following pictures show the state LapTimer has location information from WLAN (first picture) and from GPS (second picture). LapTimer will not operate correctly with WLAN triangulation. This is the reason, only GPS fixes are counted into update rates. On the other hand, WLAN positions are used by Google Maps. The question is: do you have WLAN position but no GPS position?

Image Image

- Harry
Image Image Image Image