GoPro / Android / Video Linking

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
daveb668
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

GoPro / Android / Video Linking

Post by daveb668 »

Hi All,

First time poster but longtime user of Grandprix (purely for timing purposes).

This weekend I linked my GoPro to my Android phone OK and did some laps. I'm now trying to overlay the data onto the video but when I go into the Laplist and choose the lap I want and go to Video; it just says 'offline' and won't see the camera.

The camera is 100% connected as I can go into 'Race' and it's sat there all ready.

Any ideas?

I'd consider pulling the video off the phone and linking it manually but I can't find out from the Laplist which video it is on the camera? There are only 10 individual videos on the camera and over 40 laps in Laptimer.

I hope somebody can help, thanks :)

Camera is a GoPro 3+ black and the phone is a HTC M9 on 'Nougat'
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: GoPro / Android / Video Linking

Post by Harry »

You need to transfer the video from cam to smartphone first. The process is described in Video Documentation available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
daveb668
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daveb668 »

Hi harry,

Anyway to find out which file it is? I have over 40gb of videos; they won't all fit on my phone.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case you can't identify the video, transfer data to a PC first and inspect them here. One technic is to measure the first lap's time in a video using a video viewer (subtract timestamp at the beginning of the lap from that at the end of the lap) and compare it to Lap List data.

File time stamps GoPro videos can be misleading or non-existent.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
daveb668
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daveb668 »

Hi Harry,

Just so I understand this correctly then - when I link my GoPro to the app on my phone there is no benefit to doing this than if there is NO link and I have to manually link the video?

OR - if I have mis-understood; the app is just 'waiting for' the correct video file to be put on my phone and once done the app will find the relevant spot in the video and do the overlay etc etc?

If the former - it seems unfortunate that the app is unable to know 'which' video on the camera has the correct lap - otherwise what is the point of linking the phone to the app in the first place?

Don't misunderstand me; the app is incredible and I wouldn't even know where to start - but as I have over 50 laps, 10 video files and 40GB of video it would be nice if the app could somehow give me some clue of which file in particular I need for just one lap?
daveb668
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by daveb668 »

Hi Harry,

I know you haven't responded to my other query but I've been messing with this tonight. I've tried the only two files that it could be and copied them to my phone. There are laps 4,5,6 and 7 on one (apparently) and 8 and 9 on the other.

If I automatically export ANY lap they are not even close to being correctly synchronised.

I've read through the manual about choosing my own starting point but if I'm doing that I can't see any benefit from linking my phone to the camera in the first place? I also don't understand how, from what the manual says, I'm able to adjust the starting point.

:| :| :|
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

GoPros do not provide the filename recorded currently. This means LapTimer stores the time offset / syncpoint of an "unknown" video as a placeholder. All that needs to be done after transferring the video is identifying (Re-Link) the video file - which should be a lot easier than identifying both the file *and* the sync point.

Harry
Image Image Image Image