Garmin Virb Elite Multi Cam

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
CTFocusST
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Garmin Virb Elite Multi Cam

Post by CTFocusST »

Should the recent release of v21 support a Garmin Virb Elite as well? I have v21.0.4 of Harry's Lap Timer installed and in the sensor list it says available for the multi camera but the app won't recognize it in race mode, just says no external camera detected. Phone is connected to the camera via wifi and can see the preview of the camera from the virb's app. Any ideas?

Also to note I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S6 for the phone
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garmin Virb Elite Multi Cam

Post by Harry »

Garmin's developer docs list the Garmin VirbX and VirbXE only. I asked for Virb Ultra 30 compatibility and they answered it is working too. I have contacted them on a full compatibility list now and will come back. Please make sure the Garmin app is killed when you connect LapTimer. Other apps accessing the device from background can easily skew up things. Make sure you have selected the correct external cam type in LapTimer's Settings too and check if you are connected to the cam's WiFi.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
CTFocusST
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by CTFocusST »

Thanks for the response Harry. I didn't open the garmin app til after trying a fe w tries with HLT to verify my phone could connect to the camera. I was connected to both the WiFi as well as had the external cam set to Garmin Virb. While it didn't say it applied I did also put the password that was shown on the virb's screen in the spot for the gopro 3/3+ wifi password just to make sure it wasn't that.

Hopefully when you hear back it is compatible.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I reached out to Garmin. The Elite supports part of the interface but is discontinued now. This means it probably works (provided everything else is set up), but I can't say for sure. LapTimer does not use over-sophisticated components, actually it does some configuration and starts and stops the cam only. I will not add it to the list of supported devices until I receive positive feedback from a user.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
CTFocusST
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by CTFocusST »

Thanks for the follow up. I'll play around with it a little more and if I do manage to get it to work I'll let you know