All sorts of problems with video transfe/overlay

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

All sorts of problems with video transfe/overlay

Post by johan6504 »

Since the last update 21.0.2 I am having all sorts of problems with video sync and overlay.
With the previous version I was able to download video from my Gopro 4 silver to HLT and syncing without any problem. Today after my trackday, HLT locks up the download indicator doesn't update and I I have lost all sync between my video and laps. I tried to do it the old way, with Itunes and re-link that way but it doesn't link to all laps, only the one I select in lap list and it is completely wrong. I made a back up of the database and reinstalled the app, but it behaves in the sam way anyway... I am lost and stuck with laps that I just cant seem to sync. And on top of these problems HLT seems to lock when working with videos, forcing me to restart over and over again. It feels generally unstable right now...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: All sorts of problems with video transfe/overlay

Post by Harry »

Most probable just some coincidence from version change and issues you face. The named are has not been changed lately.
The download and download progress is still flaky, the recommendation is to use the much faster manual transfer and relink.
When assigning and syncing a video to a lap, do you get the dialog asking whether other laps of the session should be aligned automatically? In case this dialog is not coming up, LapTimer does not consider the lap part of a session and we need to check the data first. When saying "completely wrong", what does this mean? Does the end of the video when overlaying not match the end of the video selected? When adding and syncing video manually, it often makes sense to check whether a lap you recognize in the video is really the lap recorded. It is quite easy to mix things up. To measure a lap in a video, select the time of the start of the lap in the video using any video viewer, scroll forward to the end and subtract timestamps. Make sure this delta equals the lap's duration in Lap List.

In case you want me to look into the alignment, please export the full track day to .hlptrl and send it to me. I can check session structure and other problems.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

I have been trying to get this to work for the last 3 hours and I am getting tired ;-)
I had 6 sessions during today's track day and I got video from 4. When I got home there was video symbols for the four (before I tried to start downloading video from gopro) with video but after fooling around I now have video link symbol in only the last session. But when I try to relink there seems to be a none existing video blocking or something. It feels like I have messed up the possability to relink all video at the same time. I am really stuck and have since long lost track of what I have been trying...

I am trying to attach the file but it seems to be too large. Can I mail it directly to you?
//Johan
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So it is usually best to remove all video links first and start over. But before you do that, make sure you add the video to the correct lap and session using the video player / time stamp method described above.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

I find this totally confusing, dont know what to do.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Removing the (wrong) video linking or identifying a lap recorded by LapTimer in a video?

- Harry

P.S. Take your time, I will be back tomorrow morning - it is 11:30 pm here...
Image Image Image Image
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

Good morning
I read through the documentation once more but I really don understand how to proceed.
I wish I could send you picture to explain but the forum keeps saying files are to large.

I probably need to get back to a clean start in some way. Maybe I have mixed up what video goes to what session... lap list now have some laps with cam symbols and others without. One session has symbols but when getting into vide details it is missing master but has PIP video. Klickning on the "empty" masterdata icon now locks up the app and I ned to restart. If I wait I get an error masted data not available, or missing the video or audio track.... And it locks up again.

Looking at the video details for one of the laps is defined as PIP and scrolling to the bottom I get som laps defined as picture in picture and other as Master.Where is this defined? And Why are some defined as PIP? Selecting any of the laps take me to the video sync setting but it is so small that there is no real chance to see anything and close to impossible to set the end of the lap.

As I try to reconfigure and working my way through the app the HLT locks up constantly, last error was Cannot Complete Action. I have never had these problems before. Not sure it matters, but my file contains some 780 laps.
Still very confused... Close to giving up now.
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

Removed all references to video and tried to set sync manually. It is extremely difficult, but I tried to set a point just to se what happens. After selecting what I think is the end of the selected lap I get the question if I want to do the complete session and I select yes. But I still only get lap I just tried to sync, why isn't the the rest of the laps synced? Do I need to set sync manually for all 50 laps? That would take all day...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

When adding a video to a single lap, and the lap selected is recognized as part of multiple laps of a session, LapTimer is bringing up this dialog. Agreeing to get the full session adjusted, will add the video to all laps of this session and arrange sync points accordingly. When doing this, you should see a video symbol in Lap List next to the lap you assigned the video to, and to laps before and behind belonging to the same session. This means you need to repeat this step for each session, not for each lap. In case LapTimer does not adjust full sessions as expected, please let me know.

The number of laps should not be the limiting factor although some slow down needs to be expected for very large data sets. A well known issue is the number of videos managed by the photo library (iOS). So once you have hundreds of video clips in your Photo app (iOS), you will probably see drastic slow downs. The only work around is removing clips from the phone.

In case you want to send snapshot, files etc, either reduce resolution of snapshots and zip other files, or send them to Harry@gps-laptimer.de

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
johan6504
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by johan6504 »

Hi Harry
LapTimer does not adjust full sessions as expected, it just add video to the one I am trying to sync. For som reason it doesn't recognize the video as part of the whole session. At some point I think I got info about insufficient sync point, but I can remember when. It was not when I tried to sync the last time. I am sending you the HLT file and links to my dropbox public files.