Video always stops at 33 minutes

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Video always stops at 33 minutes

Post by swbca3691 »

I was testing a new phone with Laptimer. A Galaxy s7. When recording a video, it appears to be recording until I stop it, but the actual video always ends a 33.10 minutes. It shows the full time on the lap list, like 50 minutes for example, but the video itself is always ends at 33.10 minutes. I have tried this 3 times. 33.10 minutes is the exact video length every time.

All power saving modes are OFF and I added an exception to prevent Laptimer from being managed by the power saving features.

Also the overlay was done automatically . . in real time apparently . . a nice surprise to me. Video from my old phone GS5 would always have intermittent frame drop-outs, I suppose because of processor demands from something else. Does real-time overlay, if that's what it is, increase chances for video dropouts ?

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video always stops at 33 minutes

Post by Harry »

Real time overlays are actually a transparent screen display above a regular video player. So there is not a lot of processing going (most done in hardware). You should not see drop outs here.

A limit of 33min is most probably due to a file system limitation. Are you recording video to a SD card?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by swbca3691 »

33 minutes creates a 4GB file at 1920x1080. The SD Card is formatted with exFAT which is supposed to be good to 16 Exabyte. After posting my question, I tested the regular Samsung video camera and it broke long videos into 4GB segments.

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So independent from exFAT or not, there seems to be a 4GB limit... In case you are sure it is exFAT and not FAT32, these are the options I see:

1) remove the card and try to record to your internal memory
2) reduce memory requirements by switching to HD
3) interrupt recording (Cancel) manually sometimes between 25 and 30 minutes of your session; you will lose data for the current lap, but LapTimer will restart the next time you pass start / finish.

I have no plans to support auto-splitting at 4GB borders. As the complete recording process is handled by Android, this would require LapTimer to do some frame by frame processing. This would introduce a lot of load (and energy consumption), and many problems.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
swbca3691
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by swbca3691 »

The 33 minute limit by itself is not a material problem. Last question. When the recording ends at 33 minutes the lap data program continues to run. Will the video overlay work OK on a video that was ended by the phone ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In case the video is readable (please check), it should be possible to overlay all laps ending within the range the video covers.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Brian54
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Brian54 »

swbca3691 wrote:The 33 minute limit by itself is not a material problem. Last question. When the recording ends at 33 minutes the lap data program continues to run. Will the video overlay work OK on a video that was ended by the phone ?
Did you ever get this issue resolved? If not, does your 33 minute limit happen to correlate to 15 laps of the session?