Polar H7 heart sensor & Healthkit

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Polar H7 heart sensor & Healthkit

Post by Harry »

Just to clarify: as written before, LapTimer does not trigger health data recording or stores data. This process is completely independent from LapTimer and triggered just by wearing the H7 & friends (and enabling Health Kit recordings). I repeat this to make sure we are on the same page for trouble shooting.

Given that, there are two potential issues.

1) Data you see in HK does not match the time ranges on track.
2) LapTimer does not correctly map timestamps of measurements in Health Kit to lap time ranges recorded by LapTimer.

To troubleshoot the later, a debugging enabled LapTimer version is required - I can provide this during beta phases only.
So let us check #1 first. To do this, please select any single lap from Lap List you assume heath data should have been recorded by the H7 / Health Kit. Create a snapshot showing the time of day and lap time of this lap. Next, start the Health app and select the chart showing heart rates. Zoom / scroll to the lap's time range and create a snapshot showing the time range and data collected. For privacy reasons, it is probably better to send these snapshots to Harry@gps-laptimer.de

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Yes, it is very clear that LapTimer reads the Health data.

Thinking iOS 11 might help the situation, I installed 11.0.3 and now -- no matter how I configure it -- Health is not receiving the heart rate data. Under iOS 10, Health Sources Devices listed the iPhone and the H7. Under iOS 11, only the iPhone appears.

If and when I get Health recording heart rate data, I will try HLT again.
AxelAbarth
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by AxelAbarth »

Dear all, I wish a happy new year 2018 !

I just bought a Polar H7 heart rate belt. As the others, I have trouble figuring out how I should use it to get the heart rate data on the overlay video.

I am able to get an overlay of the heart rate but it sticks to "0" when i have the polar belt on. I'm wondering if the use of a iWatch is necessary ?

Anyways, do you have any news on that topic ?

Regards,

Axel
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Setup your H7 to feed data into Apple HealthKit. In care LapTimer finds data in HK for the time of a lap, it will pull that data and overlay it. LapTimer GP (and iOS) required.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

I've attended seven track days this year and have been able to get HLT to work with the Polar H7 about one third of the sessions.

Here's my routine:

1. Start recording on the Polar watch.
2. Open Polar Beat | Settings | Apple Health | Connect
3. Continuing in Polar Beat go to Training | Start (heart rate is shown)
4. Open Apple Health | Sources | Lap timer | Heart Rate Data | On
5. Continuing in Apple Health | Sources | Polar Beat | Heart Rate | On
6. Open HLT and use as usual
7. Heart rate data show up in HLT about a third of the time

Note HLT, Polar Beat and Apple Health are all open at the same time

I am wondering if after a session I need to stop heart rate recording before HLT can access it?

Is HLT reading the heart rate data in real time or after a session is complete?

Using HLT 21.2, iOS 11.2, iPhone 6.

Deven
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Heart rates are retrieved from Health Kit when it is displayed. Other than GPS etc Sensor data, health data is not recorded by LapTimer. So to check were the problem is, goto Health Kit and verify you find heart beats for the time you have been on track.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

devenh wrote:I've attended seven track days this year and have been able to get HLT to work with the Polar H7 about one third of the sessions.

Here's my routine:

1. Start recording on the Polar watch.
2. Open Polar Beat | Settings | Apple Health | Connect
3. Continuing in Polar Beat go to Training | Start (heart rate is shown)
4. Open Apple Health | Sources | Lap timer | Heart Rate Data | On
5. Continuing in Apple Health | Sources | Polar Beat | Heart Rate | On
6. Open HLT and use as usual
7. Heart rate data show up in HLT about a third of the time

Note HLT, Polar Beat and Apple Health are all open at the same time

I am wondering if after a session I need to stop heart rate recording before HLT can access it?

Is HLT reading the heart rate data in real time or after a session is complete?

Using HLT 21.2, iOS 11.2, iPhone 6.

Deven

I realize this is an old thread but thought I'd reply in case others are wondering the same. I've tried it couple different ways and I found the simplest way to incorporate HR data from the H7 is to bypass the Polar Beat app all together.

If you're connecting the H7 for the very first time...
1. Turn on Bluetooth connection on iPhone and select Polar H7 (and confirm successful pairing)
2. Wait 30 seconds or so and then select the Apple Health app. Click on Sources and you should see both your iPhone and Polar H7 devices.
3. Click on iPhone -> Heart Rate, and confirm that the app recorded BPMs for the past minute
4. Go back to Sources (main screen) and make sure you see "LapTimer" listed under the Apps. Select LapTimer and check Heart Rate is swiped on/green.

Going forward for track days
1. Repeat only step 1 above. No need to run Health app in background but if you're paranoid now is the time to confirm the H7 is still functioning (e.g. battery in good status) by running the Health app. Once you've confirmed everything is good to go, you can kill the Health App at this point.
2. Run HLT as you normally would. As Harry mentioned, do NOT expect to see Polar H7 listed under sensors.
3. Overlay videos and the HRM will import/appear automatically (i.e. there isn't any option you need to manually select)

FYI you can check the battery status of the H7 by using the Polar Beats app. But if you manually connect to the H7 via Settings/Bluetooth, the Polar Beats app will NOT be able to connect to the H7 (i.e. to run the Beats app you need to use the app to connect to the H7, which may require you to go back to Settings and select "Forget this Device").