[Overlay Export] What is this awefull quality ?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

[Overlay Export] What is this awefull quality ?

Post by Elurztac »

Hello,

I just use for the first time without any trouble Harry's Laptimer (last time, my phone was not working at all, so, that's the reason why) :mrgreen:

But when I try to export my video, i was very, very disapointed by the quality of this.

Just check it out :

With the Overlay export :
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs9-nXIE5j4[/youtube]

Without the Overlay :
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0mnJ0kvTek[/youtube]

Except the fact it was pretty difficult to have the perfect timing with the racetrack POI (it seem the ODB hit some latency, with a Kiwi3...), I put the GoPro Hero 5 Video on Harr'ys Laptimer, spend time to have anything great, and then, it does...That thing.

I Mean, I'm a little sad, and don't understand why. Is this my Phone fault ? The video depend of the Phone ? I try to change the configuration, but nothing work, it the same, spend hours to get something and was really disapointed...

It's done with a Nexus 6 from Motorola, with the Grand Prix edition, last version.

Please tell me i'm wrong and miss something during the configuration :oops:
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: [Overlay Export] What is this awefull quality ?

Post by Harry »

Can you please be more specific on what the problem is? The only thing I see is that the video bitrate is probably a little low for your Nexus6. In case you used hardware accelerated overlaying, try increasing the Video Tweaks / Video Bitrate Multiplier to something above 1.0. In case you used software based overlaying, make sure Software Overlay Quality is set to "Huge Size, Highest Quality". Every decoding / encoding cycle applied to a video will reduce quality. Formats used are usually not lossless.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Elurztac
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Elurztac »

Harry wrote:Can you please be more specific on what the problem is? The only thing I see is that the video bitrate is probably a little low for your Nexus6. In case you used hardware accelerated overlaying, try increasing the Video Tweaks / Video Bitrate Multiplier to something above 1.0. In case you used software based overlaying, make sure Software Overlay Quality is set to "Huge Size, Highest Quality". Every decoding / encoding cycle applied to a video will reduce quality. Formats used are usually not lossless.

- Harry
I use the multiplier, for this video I was at 3.0, nothing happened.

Here the first video I made :
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnHTRbwOcI[/youtube]
This was the "per default" option, I don't touch the Software/Hardware thing, only the video bitrate multiplier...

So, that's weird, I saw a lot of video with Harry's with a good video quality, but here, when I put the Overlay, the video is really bad, I mean, the difference between the "raw" video and the "overlay" video is really important, I have a GoPro Hero 5 and it's like having a GoPro Hero 2 Video at the end :(

If it's the smartphone, I can try with the iPhone 5 I use...
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

From what I see, iOS video encoding works better than that for Android. It is probably due to the color management used by LapTimer during an intermediate step too. In case you can wait, try the Software based encoding. It is slow and generates huge files - but quality is better.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
masuriano
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by masuriano »

I too am experiencing similar quality on my Android Pixel XL phone.
I use the video from my phone, which looks fantastic until it is processed my LapTimer.
I have the Grand Prix edition.

I can live with the quality of the image after processing but why does the frame rate drop from 30 FPS (source) to 19.9 FPS (LapTimer)?
I would be happy if the frame rate at least stayed the same.

Any resolution to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Harry wrote:Can you please be more specific on what the problem is? The only thing I see is that the video bitrate is probably a little low for your Nexus6. In case you used hardware accelerated overlaying, try increasing the Video Tweaks / Video Bitrate Multiplier to something above 1.0. In case you used software based overlaying, make sure Software Overlay Quality is set to "Huge Size, Highest Quality". Every decoding / encoding cycle applied to a video will reduce quality. Formats used are usually not lossless.
- Harry
Image Image Image Image