Several problems with Iphone 7, gopro 3 hero, Dual xgps 160

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Bryant
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Several problems with Iphone 7, gopro 3 hero, Dual xgps 160

Post by Bryant »

I went from a Iphone 5 to a 7+.
I have the unsteady recording problem that I see several complaints about so I will leave that as that.
The other things going on is the control of the gopro and the receiving of the gps signal.
The pattern I have noticed is on my 3rd autocross run, the gps seems to drop out. It doesnt locate me getting to the starting line and had a red exclamation mark for readiness. Yesterday I did a manual start and stop for the run. Then I went to Iphone settings and looked at bluetooth and saw the gps was still synced. I went back to Harrys and it recognized it and worked for the last run.

The gopro hero 3 wont record. It shows up on the video screen of harrys but no recordings happen. The camera works manually and the I phone video happens. So not sure what is going on there.

I also notice Im getting a 5.0 Hz sample rate on the gps signal. Isn't it suspposed to be 10 Hz?
I tried doing the patches for the Dual xgps 160 but they would never complete on my computer for some unknow reason.

Thank you for an awesome product with awesome support.
1971 Ford Maverick. Running in SCCA SOLO CAM-T in the San Diego and LA regions.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Several problems with Iphone 7, gopro 3 hero, Dual xgps 160

Post by Harry »

Please check for disturbing BT connections around. A 5 Hz rate shown is actually wrong. It should be zero when no position can get acquired and 10 Hz otherwise. Some BT traffic may reduce the rate, but it will not be a steady value in this case. I assume you didn't mix up the XGPS 150 (4/5 Hz) with the 160 (10 Hz)?

For the H3, please walk through the connection steps listed in Video Documentation (www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation). The doc includes some basic steps to test external cam operation too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Bryant,

I'm pretty sure the XGPS160 will time out if it's not powered and it isn't moving. Part of my mental checklist is to check to see if GPS is connected in time to do all the things that may be necessary to reconnect before a run.
Bryant
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Bryant »

Oops my bad. yep its a 150 not a 160.
that explains the sample rate.
I do have it plugged in to car power not sure why its not working after the 2nd run.
Ill go through the connections check list next time and try it out.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

CAM-S? Isn't the Maverick a four seater? I wouldn't want to run against Corvettes.
Bryant
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Bryant »

That was for 2015. The wheel base is 103". The 2015 CAM rules had a min wheel base of 109" in that year so I ended up fitting into CAM S. It was cool though, We had no corvettes in the class that year and it was what would be my rookie year. In 2016 SCCA changed the wheel base down to 100"s. I was in CAM T this year. San Diego, where I live, has the biggest CAM T class in the country. We have had up to 18 cars at a time out racing! I will update my sig. By the way, my times are with a few 10ths of the corvettes running in the local CAM S class. Sometimes Im faster, sometimes they are. Just because they have 2 seats and full independent suspension, doesn't mean they are gong to be faster! The CAM challenge west is coming to San Diego. I highly recommend anybody with a muscle car to go to CAM challenge. Watching and racing with 60-80 roaring muscle cars is awesome experience.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I went to the CAM Challenge in Peru, IN this year. It was fun. There are some really fast CAM-S cars in the Charlotte, NC area. I see that CAM-T was tied with STP for the largest drop in PAX/RTP in 2017 at -0.017. I was a bit surprised that everything dropped but AM, which is fixed at 1.00. I'm going to coilovers on my CAM-C Mustang for next year.