Connecting to RaceCapture

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Connecting to RaceCapture

Post by gplracerx »

I received my new RaceCapture module today. I plugged it into the car and connected the WiFi to my iPhone. HLT doesn't see it. I think I need to specify the TCP port for the RaceCapture/Pro WiFi Bridge, but I can't find what that's supposed to be.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Connecting to RaceCapture

Post by gplracerx »

I tried putting 9223 in the TCP port setting. I also tried 192.168.4.1:9223 for the IP address. No luck.

Edit:

The windows app and drivers worked just fine. I've added a few OBD channels. But until it will talk to HLT or the iOS RaceCapture app appears, it's a brick.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I received information from Autosport Labs on the WiFi interface. It requires some communication beyond a simple IP/port/protocol setting. I'm told I will receive a WiFi module for my RCP soon. Once I get it, I will add RCP WiFi (and RC) support.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Thanks. I won't bother with port sniffing then.
fstlane
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by fstlane »

Harry wrote:I received information from Autosport Labs on the WiFi interface. It requires some communication beyond a simple IP/port/protocol setting. I'm told I will receive a WiFi module for my RCP soon. Once I get it, I will add RCP WiFi (and RC) support.

- Harry
Any progress on the RCP/RC WiFi integration Harry? I have a RaceCapture unit in my track car that I'd love to incorporate with the dash mounted Nexus 7 tablet running HLT. My goal is to replace the current external GPS receiver/Bluetooth OBDII combination with the single intergraded RaceCapture unit. Thank you!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes and no. I still do not have access to a WiFi module for my RCP II. ASL wanted to send one but they seem to be not available yet. I received information on some connection lingo required already, but as long as I do not have a test device, I will not start this effort.

For the BT connection, I got instructions how to update firmware to the latest version using my Mac. I will go into this shortly.

Please do not expect an update on this shortly, I have no plans to submit further v20 minor and bugfix releases but work on the v21 major release for Spring 2017 already.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I could loan you my RaceCapture device. The only thing I'm using it for right now is to beta test the ASL iOS app. It's a long ways from the current state of HLT. There isn't a direction channel for either GPS or the on-board magnetometer, for example.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

gplracerx wrote:I could loan you my RaceCapture device. The only thing I'm using it for right now is to beta test the ASL iOS app. It's a long ways from the current state of HLT. There isn't a direction channel for either GPS or the on-board magnetometer, for example.
Thanks for the offer. I plan to work on the WiFi part in February or whenever the module arrives. In case I do not get a committed delivery of the RCP II WiFi module, I will come back to you. Sending the device from the US and Europe and back may get a bit cumbersome...

I do not think the RC app will ever get to the level HLPTR has. Their app is a basic kit to start with, the Pros add HLPTR :-) After all that's the joint value proposition.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The RC device assigns the Z axis to vertical. I'll have to check to see if this is correct, but I'm pretty sure the ASL app calibrates the offset of the vertical accelerometer axis with gravity and writes the result to the device, so it would potentially be easy to read the yaw rate directly from the vertical axis even if you didn't want to use any of the rest of the IMU. I've looked at the gyro data and there didn't seem to be any cross talk with the other gyro axes. Eyeballing the data, I'm not sure that noise of the gyro and accelerometer is any better than smartphone. But it would make positioning the smartphone other than for video irrelevant. The problem would be bandwidth.
steved0x
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by steved0x »

Harry wrote:
gplracerx wrote:I do not think the RC app will ever get to the level HLPTR has. Their app is a basic kit to start with, the Pros add HLPTR :-) After all that's the joint value proposition.

- Harry
I really like HLT and plan to use it with my RaceCapture device (the small one from the Kickstarter campaign). I don't want to have to learn a new app :)

I was able to connect to the RC using 192.168.4.1 Port 7223 and have it recognized by HLT as "ASL RCP MK2 Wifi GPS" (which it is not) but I couldn't get any GPS or updates from it.

Harry, please cancel my other thread if desired (it is pending review since I am new to the forum) as that question is essentially the same as this one.

Thanks

Steve