Connecting to RaceCapture

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Connecting to RaceCapture

Post by gplracerx »

I've asked on the ASL forum about HLT compatibility. The answer was that it wasn't their problem.
HLT topics can be directed to the appropriate HLT forums.

Thank you,
Of course that's bovine excrement. If ASL won't share the protocol to wake up the RaceCapture over WiFi with Harry, there's absolutely nothing he can do.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

I've sent a PM to Brent on the RaceCapture forum to see if he can give us the command string to wake up the RaceCapture device.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Brent sent the WiFi initialization sequence to me already. The issue is I do not have a device available to test it. Now that the MK II has been removed from the portfolio, I'm not sure the WiFi module will get available any more (after waiting a year).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Update, things get rolling. :-) Brent just confirmed he will send a WiFi module for my MK II this week. Once I get it, I will update the integration for both BT and WiFi connections (all RC models).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Good to know. Maybe my PM exchange with Brent helped.
ottacat
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ottacat »

Any update on this? I would love this in order to get CAN data.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

ottacat wrote:Any update on this? I would love this in order to get CAN data.
HLT version 21.x can receive data from a RaceCapture/Track and probably other versions. But there are problems. I'm getting a lot of duplicate data points. That, in turn, makes calculating direction from the GPS data problematic. I'm going to try updating at 10Hz instead of 25Hz and see if that makes a difference. There aren't presets available for CAN, either. You mostly have to discover them yourself, which isn't trivial.
ottacat
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by ottacat »

Thanks for the update. I recognize the CAN support in RaceCapture is manual and requires reverse-engineering a CAN stream but I've got a 370Z and there is a spreadsheet out on one of the 370Z forums showing the CAN ID's and Bytes of several metrics I'm interested in logging.
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The RaceCapture/Track currently has a limit of 5 CAN channels. That's supposed to increase in the next firmware release. Firmware and software releases are slow, though. They still haven't released the latest version of their app for iOS.
macdude357
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by macdude357 »

I'm able to connect HLT if I put the RaceCapture in Access Point Mode. Since I have a GoPro, I would like to use the RaceCapture in Client mode. I'm able to connect it to my GoPro WIFI and can verify that using the RaceCapture app on my phone. However, when configured that way, HLT will not recognize the RaceCapture device. I assume this is because the IP address when running in AccessPoint mode is a 192.x.x.x address but when running in Client mode, the GoPro assigns a 10.x.x.x. address. Is there a way to tell HLT the IP address of the RaceCapture?