XGPS160 issues

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XGPS160 issues

Post by Harry »

Please check Known Issues for access to a Dual beta firmware which probably addresses the connection issues discussed.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Sonertial wrote:For what it's worth, I just got a new XGPS160 yesterday, installed the Dual GPS Skypro app, Settings -> Check Update -> it updated the firmware from 3.4. to 3.4.1.

You say 2.4.1 above? Is that really the case? If so it'd possibly explain your issue.

The "Supporting an App with old Dual SDK" is set to "No" in my case. Harry's Laptimer works perfectly.
It works perfectly for how long? When I had 2.4.1 firmware, the XGPS would connect and work fine for a few minutes. Then the update rate would go to zero.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Here is the change log for the 2.4.5 / 3.4.5 beta:

Code: Select all

The changes from the previous version of firmware (v.2.4.2, or v.3.4.2) is as follows:

Fixes SDK Session data stopping for XGPS160 with BC6 chipset when connected to iPad
Changes Bluetooth module Baud Rate from 2Mpbs to 921600bps
Improves iOS Bluetooth search and connectivity after iOS connection is terminated
Updated EIR information  in Bluetooth Stack
Limited the number of devices automatically re-connect to one(1) when booting – this should fix/improve the Bluetooth connectivity in iOS/multiple devices
Update reconnect device list save routine
Improve iOS Apple certification process
Thanks for any feedback on the .5 versions. I believe anything on former versions has been said. ;-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Sonertial
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Sonertial »

gplracerx wrote:
It works perfectly for how long? When I had 2.4.1 firmware, the XGPS would connect and work fine for a few minutes. Then the update rate would go to zero.
Good question, well asked as it turns out.

I confidently started to respond that it had been working great since I got it a few weeks ago, then actually checked the laps I have been testing with to and from work and around the local area. I also checked it while playing with a Python OBD simulator I'm messing with.

The XGPS160 started disconnecting a few days ago.

I completely recharged it yesterday and this morning, I specifically checked that the blue light on the unit was steady and that it was connected in the iPhone Bluetooth list. Still, no go. HLT did not record any fixes from the XGPS during the lap I recorded on the way to work, it defaulted to the iPhone's internal GPS.

I suddenly recall that I've been getting iPhone messages about "this accessory is not supported", I thought it was referring to the Car Bluetooth system, but clearly it's the GPS unit. This is possibly related to updating to iOS 10.3.2, but I am pretty certain I have recorded laps with XGPS fixes since then.

I'll update the firmware today and continue testing.
Bryant
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Bryant »

I believe Im having the exact same problem. I have both the 150 gps and the 160 gps. I have not done any firmware updates on them. My phone is a Iphone 7+. Some times I will get the 10hz from the 160 for 1 or 2 autocross laps then it will go to 1hz. Most of the time it just does 1 hz. This is a long thread and I will admit I read the first page and last page only. What should I try?
1971 Ford Maverick. Running in SCCA SOLO CAM-T in the San Diego and LA regions.
Sonertial
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Sonertial »

Bryant wrote: What should I try?
I installed the v3.4.5 firmware update, it seems to have fixed my issues.

This is what I did:

1. Download the Firmware update in the known issues linked by Harry above.
2. Extract the zipped package somewhere convenient. There are several folders. Find the xgps160fwu-v2.4.5-v3.4.5_EXE file and replace the "_" before EXE with a "." so it becomes xgps160fwu-v2.4.5-v3.4.5.EXE. Its icon should change and it becomes executable.
If you have never upgraded the firmware from your PC you will need to install COM drivers for the GPS interface.
3. Go to Dual's XGPS160 page, select the "Firmware" tab and download the package for Esri Users (v2.X.X & 3.X.X). There are Firmware Update instructions on that page as well.
4. Extract the XGPS160 Firmware Update Pack (v2.4.0 & v.3.4.0) package and find the XGPS160 Driver folder. Run the VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe driver setup which is appropriate for your computer (64 or 32bit). You may need to restart your computer.
5. Go back to and run the xgps160fwu-v2.4.5-v3.4.5.EXE file you renamed in step 2 above. Follow the instructions, selecting the STMicroelectronics Virtual COM port(COM 4 in my case). You won't see the correct port if you haven't installed the driver.
Bryant
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by Bryant »

I can do that, but my 150 unit has the same problem and it doesnt have updates past 1.3.... so Im not sure its going to fix it. I will try.
1971 Ford Maverick. Running in SCCA SOLO CAM-T in the San Diego and LA regions.
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

Argh! I just tried to update my XGPS160 using the PC based firmware updater.
I've done this before to downgrade from 2.4.1 to 1.5.1 when the 2.4.1 firmware upgrade was causing problems maintaining a connection to the XGPS160 from my iPhone 7 running iOS 10.3.1 (now 10.3.2).
I worked just fine then.
However, now when I try running the firmware updater on my PC, it keeps reporting the following:
Entered COM PORT : COM3
COM3 Opened
Checking COM3... not XGPS160
XGPS160 not found

I've checked and double checked that its the right COM port, I've installed and re-installed the virtual COM Port driver (VCP_V1.3.1_Setup_x64.exe)
Still, the firmware update will not work.
I even tried running the 1.5.1 driver update again (which ran fine previously) and it isn't recognizing the XGPS160 either, giving me the same messages as the 2.4.5 driver update.
The XGPS160 is still working properly as I'm abie to connect to it from my iPhone. Actually, I had the iPhone install the 2.4.1 driver in case that was why the 2.4.5 driver wouldn't install, but it didn't help (now I'm stuck at 2.4.1 and can't even downgrade back to 1.5.1).

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit on a Dell Precision laptop. I am running the new Windows Creator update ( version 1703), so I don't know if that's possibly the issue. I was running the previous version of Windows 10 the last time I was able to get the updater to work and see the XGPS160.

Anyway, has anyone else had this problem with the XGPS160 updater and have any suggestions for how I can get it to work again?
Possibly do I need to change any of the COM port settings?
Sonertial
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Sonertial »

However, now when I try running the firmware updater on my PC, it keeps reporting the following:
Entered COM PORT : COM3
Not sure, but I don't think your driver has actually installed properly. Does it say COM 4 STMicroelect... in the dropdown menu? In the Device Manager you should see "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM4)".

I've done this on both windows 7 and 10, I did notice that when I installed it on Windows 10, there was a prompt that came up behind my active window, the driver did not install until I had found that, despite looking like it had at first, in terms of the notifications that Windows gives you when it's doing it's thing. I think I got a similar message to what you did until I sorted that.
rrankins
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rrankins »

Sonertial wrote: Not sure, but I don't think your driver has actually installed properly. Does it say COM 4 STMicroelect... in the dropdown menu? In the Device Manager you should see "STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM4)".

I've done this on both windows 7 and 10, I did notice that when I installed it on Windows 10, there was a prompt that came up behind my active window, the driver did not install until I had found that, despite looking like it had at first, in terms of the notifications that Windows gives you when it's doing it's thing. I think I got a similar message to what you did until I sorted that.
No it was installed correctly. COM3 was what it used the last time the firmware update worked just fine.
Actually, which COM port it uses doesn't really matter (unless you have another COM port that conflicts). You can go into the driver settings and change the COM port number to anything you want.
And yes, when I did the re-install of the driver, it does put the installer window in the background and I did click on it and successfully.

Turns out, it wasn't the virtual COM port driver that was the problem.
It appears that my XGPS160 was acting flaky (maybe it's starting to fail and it's time for a new GPS device).
Anyway, I noticed it wasn't locking onto any satellites (GPS light was continually flashing and not solid green). At first I thought it was because I was inside the house (although sitting near a large picture window where I generally am able to get a halfway decent GPS signal).
So I took it outside and put it on my deck railing - still it wouldn't lock onto any satellites and the GPS light just kept flashing.
It would connect via bluetooth, but the SkyPro app was showing 0 satellites and status wasn't showing the unit's name for Connecting Device (but showed the battery level and firmware version).
So, I turned the XGPS160 off and went to bed.
This morning, I turned it on and initially the GPS light was just flashing and not locking on.
I took it outside again, this time up to the end of the driveway where there's a bit more open sky and fewer trees and eventually it finally locked onto the satellites and the GPS light went solid green! It's alive!
Brought it back inside and tried the firmware update again and this time it worked just fine and now it's at version 2.4.5.
Also, now it also is obtaining and keeping a GPS signal inside the house.
Laptimer recognizes the device and reports a connection rate of 9-10Hz, although sometimes it drops to 7-8Hz.
So far, the bluetooth connection has not dropped at all with the 2.4.5 firmware.
Will have to try it next in the car while driving around and see if it keeps both the GPS signal and the bluetooth connection to the phone.