XGPS160 issues

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Veloscaraptor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

XGPS160 issues

Post by Veloscaraptor »

I just upgraded to a new iPhone 7+. I'm running iOS 10.0.2 with Harry's Grand Prix v20.1.4 and a brand new xgps160 running current firmware v2.2.1.

The xgps status app shows connectivity and "excellent" accuracy, but Harry's shows no updates. If I turn off xgps the iPhone gps takes over and works. If xgps is on, the realtime map updates location correctly.

But I cannot get appropriate gps update using xgps in the app. Help!!

Thanks
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XGPS160 issues

Post by Harry »

Please kill the XGPS app, it will probably disturb LapTimer operation. I have issue with the same combo, so it is probably some configuration issue. Please send snapshots of Sensor List and GPS View with the XGPS connected in case you want to have me take a closer look. Using the real time map by the way can create other issues. It does not use LapTimer's primary and direct sensor connection but always accesses the Dual through iOS. This means the device will be contacted by both iOS and LapTimer. This may create issues.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
RaymondAbel
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by RaymondAbel »

Xgps160 is running firware 2.2.1??
Mine is 1.4.1
This is strange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Veloscaraptor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Veloscaraptor »

Here are (hopefully) the pics you wanted.

Veloscaraptor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Veloscaraptor »

RaymondAbel wrote:Xgps160 is running firware 2.2.1??
Mine is 1.4.1
This is strange

I just had mine replaced under warranty, perhaps that's it?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Veloscaraptor wrote:
RaymondAbel wrote:Xgps160 is running firware 2.2.1??
Mine is 1.4.1
This is strange

I just had mine replaced under warranty, perhaps that's it?
I see 1.4.1 for my XGPS160 (hardware 1.1.0) too. This is the latest update available using the Dual XGPS Status Tool.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Veloscaraptor wrote:Here are (hopefully) the pics you wanted.

This is the critical screen. While you will see a gross and net update rate of 0 Hz in case the XGPS has no GPS reception (e.g. inside / in your office), the raw rate should be bigger than 0 when any communication is going on. The picture looks like no NMEA information is coming in at all. Please try un-pairing the device in iOS's Settings app and pair it again. In case this doesn't change the raw rate, please try the Dual XGPS Status Tool and check if you can see data. In case you do, there is probably an incompatibility between LapTimer and this firmware version 2.2.1. Please follow the instructions in viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1933 in this case and select the following classes for tracing: Accessories and GPS/GLONASS Sensors. In case the Dual tool doesn't work either, I need to send you back to them. :-) I will contact Dual in parallel to understand the background of this 2.2.1 version.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It is indeed a problem with firmware 2.2.1. Dual changed the NMEA stream to use the standard NMEA format now. Formerly (up to 1.4.1), they used a dialect LapTimer expects for XGPS devices currently. I will try to provide a workaround coping with both variants as soon as possible. I do not yet have access to a v2.2.1 device, so please give some days for this.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Veloscaraptor
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Veloscaraptor »

Harry wrote:It is indeed a problem with firmware 2.2.1. Dual changed the NMEA stream to use the standard NMEA format now. Formerly (up to 1.4.1), they used a dialect LapTimer expects for XGPS devices currently. I will try to provide a workaround coping with both variants as soon as possible. I do not yet have access to a v2.2.1 device, so please give some days for this.

- Harry

Thanks for the update. Hopefully there's a workaround :-/
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Until LapTimer v20.2.3 gets available (not sure I will release it or switch to v21 directly in Spring), please turn off direct access to accessories:

LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Settings ‣ Expert Settings ‣ Accessory Tweaks ‣ Use Accessories ‣ NO

With this setting, LapTimer will report the Dual as "iPhone GNSS", but you should see the 10 Hz update rate. You will not have access to some GPS details either, but at least you will benefit from the better accuracy and data (compared to the internal GPS).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image