XGPS160 issues

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
drivefast
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Re: XGPS160 issues

Post by drivefast »

Harry wrote:You should see 10 Hz, qualification as iPhone GNSS is as expected.
Please try disconnecting and reconnecting the XGPS.

- Harry
Disconnect/Reconnect made no difference. 1Hz only with the work around.

How can we use XGPS160 with Harry's Lap Timer >1HZ?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please make sure your XGPS has reception when reading out the update rate (green GPS LED solid on). As long as the XGPS does not deliver positions, iOS will use the internal GPS - which is a 1 Hz Rate. There are two switches in Dual's app t control update rates too: one for real time updates and one for logging. Please check these too and contact Dual in case you face issues.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

This appears to be Dual's problem and there's not much Harry can do about it. I would suggest talking to Dual about fixing their firmware problem or making it possible to go back to the previous firmware version that did work. Meanwhile, perhaps the Dual XGPS160 should be taken off the compatible list.
dbbarron
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by dbbarron »

I have had endless connectivity issues with the XGP160 and HLT/Bluetooth generally for a couple of years.
Also, the XGPS sometimes won't even lock onto satellites, let alone connect with BT. This is usually after a morning at the track.
Though it was a heat issue?

After much frustration I concluded it was simply broken, but given similar feedback from others, I'd stay away.

Wondering if QStar or VBOX (expensive) Sport will be better?
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

Most of the time my XGPS160 works fine. The ability to use GLONASS satellites as well as Navstar more than makes up for the occasional issue. IMO, any Bluetooth device will occasionally have connection issues. I've had a lot more issues with the VBox Sport and Qstar was not compatible with iOS the last time I checked. If you must get a new device, wait until the connection issues with the RaceCapture device are solved. It's a lot cheaper than the VBox Sport and has way more functionality.
Beast2012GT500
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Beast2012GT500 »

I updated Harry's to 20.2.4 and HLT and the XGPS160 with the 2.2.1 firmware worked perfectly. During a full day of track time today, I consistently saw update rates above 8Hz. During one session, the XGPS lost its connection to the iPhone6, though that's not HLT's fault. Good job on the update Harry!
ploney
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ploney »

FYI My XGPS160 went out. It would not accept a charge anymore.
When plugged in, the charging light would turn red for about 20 seconds, blink, flash green ever so briefly, blink, and then turn red again.
The percent charged would never go up as reported through the app.

Luckily I still have a couple months left of the 1 year warranty.

It's currently being shipped back for replacement.
tooheybill
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by tooheybill »

My XGPS160 stopped providing GPS position a few months ago. (Paired successfully, but the “GPS” light blinks green, indicating that its searching for satellite signals. It continues to do this no matter the location (inside, outside, etc.) Still Dual XGPS160 Firmware version 1.4.1 (according to the SkyPro app) with iPhone 5S and iOS 10.2; and iPhone 5 with iOS 10.1.1.

Which XGPS Firmware version is best for HLT Grand Prix V20.2.4?
It appeared to me like a fault in the XGPS (after only 4 months of otherwise brilliant performance.) Do any others have experience with the life of the XGPS 160?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Both the 1.4.x and 2.x firmware versions are supported by LapTimer. Sounds like a device issue. Please make sure you have no other apps active accessing the Dual (like Dual's own app) - although this should not have any effect on getting the GPS lock.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Rollerboots666
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Rollerboots666 »

Why does the Harry's app not recognize the XGPS160? I have connected via bluetooth but it shows the device "unavailable". I went to expert settings and turned off accessories. When I brought up devices it then shows the XGPS160 "unavailable". I've reset things and Harry's just doesn't recognize the device. How do I get this to work?