Front/Rear G-Force Data Backwards

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
MTR964
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Front/Rear G-Force Data Backwards

Post by MTR964 »

Harry,

I used HLT this weekend at Sebring International Raceway with my iPhone 6 mounted to my windshield in landscape orientation with the screen facing the rear of the car. It was only doing timing and telemetry (no video) because I was having bad luck getting steady video with my iPhone Ram mount on the very bumpy track. I was taking GoPro footage separately using a much more robust suction cup mount and am now taking that video and uploading it to my iPhone to create the lap overlays. Everything is working great except the forward/backward G-Force data is overlaying backwards in the video. When I brake into corners it goes down instead of up. The left and right data is correct though.

Is there anyway to flip the G-force data to get it to overlay correctly?

Am I doing something wrong with my setup collection of the data for this to occur?

Thanks,
-Mike
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Front/Rear G-Force Data Backwards

Post by Harry »

The reason acceleration is flipped is most probably due to the mounting position / orientation. As long as no individual calibration has been enabled, LapTimer will automatically select one of the orientations displayed in illustration #4 (LapTimer's Quick reference). Any other orientation requires individual calibration as described in Acceleration Handling available from www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation. There is an expert setting available too allowing to flip horizontally and vertically during recording in case you do something completely not standard. ;-)

For existing recordings, you can flip acceleration in LapTimer ‣ Analysis ‣ Lap List ‣ any lap selected ‣ Data Recordings / Preview ‣ Charts ‣ page G-G. Touch one of the rotation / flip buttons to adjust acceleration after the fact.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ajahearn
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ajahearn »

I have a similar but different issue to this one. In my case, the iPhone never detected that the orientation was landscape and instead showed HLT in the vertical on its side. It's not a big deal but is there a way I can correct this issue? And unfortunately, it only happened for some sessions so I cannot use a global setting to swap. Thanks in advance.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

In Lap List / lap / Data Recording / Charts / Charts / G-G there are buttons to rotate the acceleration vector to left and right.

This problem typically occurs in case you rotate the phone while driving already.

Harry
Image Image Image Image