OBD Date Refresh Rate E46 M3 Issues

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Cherry3z
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

OBD Date Refresh Rate E46 M3 Issues

Post by Cherry3z »

I have a US Spec 2002 BMW E46 M3.

I initially tried using your laptimer with a generic ELM OBD adapter, with no success. Figured I'd try one of the recommended adapters and see if that was the problem, so I bought the OBDLink LX. Connected it to the laptimer, same issue. The most I ever see is maybe a 1.2 hz update rate at the most which continuously drops to 0 hz on the "engine" monitoring page.

I've tried searching, but haven't been able to find much other than people saying they've had a hard time getting this to work on E46 M3's for some reason.

Any advice or places I can start troubleshooting this?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD Date Refresh Rate E46 M3 Issues

Post by Harry »

Yes, early M3's OBD implementation has shown most issues across all cars I have seen.
Please switch Adaptive Timing to "Enabled" instead of "Optimized" in LapTimer's Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks and try again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cherry3z
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Cherry3z »

That seems to have fixed it, at least in the sense that it seems to be a stable connection now, thanks! Which update rate is the important one? I'm seeing around 3.5-4 hz on the PID update rate, around 1 to 1.5 hz on all the others. Anything else I can do to speed up the responsiveness/rate?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Pre-CAN busses are slow. Usually, you will get a rate of around 2Hz (10 PIDs/s). Your rate may go up while driving. Once LapTimer detects you are not standing still, it will turn off discovery of other sensors - which improves throughput a bit. There is not a lot you can do as most PIDs requested are mandatory to get complete video overlays. The PID you may exclude is wheel speed (010D). Check the exclude field in LapTimer's Expert Settings / OBD Tweaks. LapTimer will use GPS speed in case this PID is not available. There are some side effects like toggling gear calculations, but you may try.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Cherry3z
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Cherry3z »

Well, I 'thought' that tweak made the rate at least stable, but I may have spoke too soon.

Tried it again last night, this time both sitting still and while driving, and it was still dropping to 0 and was unreliable. Came up with a red OBD Response Rate warning in the readiness check. Any other ideas or tweaks I can try?

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please have a look into the "Debugging OBD Connections" FAQ here on the forum. Besides the timing setting, please make sure you have no other BT devices active in your car too. Hands free / car stereo units are a frequent source of problems.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh, yes, and turn off any other app accessing the accessory (OBDLink's app in particular).
Image Image Image Image
MrBlah
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by MrBlah »

m3's have a can bus that is MUCH faster, but I'm not aware of anyone that's made a canbus to odb2/bluetooth adapter yet. I"m trying to get one built by the guys that are using arduino to convert from GM LS ECU to E46 gauges, they are doing this with arduino and 2515 shields
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

CAN busses (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus, referenced as ISO 15765 in LapTimer) are used for all modern cars and supported by all OBD adapters I know of.

Not sure for which model BMW introduced it, but it seems the E46 had an implementation starting in 2001 (which means it is a pretty early implementation) and up to 2005 for the 3-series, and up to 2006 for the M3. However - from what I see - OBD adapters typically utilize the much slower ISO9141-2 standard instead when accessing this generation's bus. As there are quite some known issues with the E46 M3's OBD implementation, it may be a work around or have some other reason only OBD chip manufacturers will have the details on.

There have been implementations specific for the E46 by AIM and others, but I doubt we will see new development for this generation's bus. Recent BMWs do not show issues like the E46 and OBD adapters deliver CAN speed for them. So this is history now and no new chip development will invest in a car generation ending in 2006...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
simerr
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by simerr »

Hello Harry,

First of all, thank you for this fantastic app and for the follow-up that you do with your customers. ;)

I bought an OBDLink MX (bluetooth version) few days ago to enjoy all the possibilities of the soft.
Unfortunately, I have the same difficulties that Cherry3z exposed at the beginning of this post with my EU M3 E46 (2002).

I tried to do all that you advised to fix the problem but it's still the same result : the dongle is connected with the app but the OBD rate is 0Hz in the motor section. There is no refresh.

The thing that disturb me is when I use the OBDLink app (OBD car diagnostics), there is a dashboard with different data like RPM, engine temperature, km/h, fuel consumption... and all "works well" with the ISO9141-2 protocol. We can clearly see the gauge moving at full throttle. Ok, this is not instant refresh but there is a good refresh. :lol:

Maybe it could be a lead for fix this problem with our lovely M3 E46?
Maybe the ScanTool.net team could help you to understand what is going wrong with the data processing or how well communicate with the dongle?

I really hope that you will be able to fix it in the near future. :)
If you want i can do a video of the 2 apps OBDLink and HLP working with the same protocol on my car.

Keep it up, you are doing a good job.

(Sorry for my french English! :lol: )