OBD Date Refresh Rate E46 M3 Issues

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: OBD Date Refresh Rate E46 M3 Issues

Post by Harry »

Please switch Adaptive Timing to "Enabled" (instead of "Optimized") and select the protocol reported by the OBDLink app (instead auf "automatic") in LapTimer's Expert Setting. Finally, make sure the OBDLink app (and any other app accessing the adapter) is killed. To my knowledge, it will disturb operation when running in background.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
MrBlah
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by MrBlah »

Harry wrote:CAN busses (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_bus, referenced as ISO 15765 in LapTimer) are used for all modern cars and supported by all OBD adapters I know of.

Not sure for which model BMW introduced it, but it seems the E46 had an implementation starting in 2001 (which means it is a pretty early implementation) and up to 2005 for the 3-series, and up to 2006 for the M3. However - from what I see - OBD adapters typically utilize the much slower ISO9141-2 standard instead when accessing this generation's bus. As there are quite some known issues with the E46 M3's OBD implementation, it may be a work around or have some other reason only OBD chip manufacturers will have the details on.

There have been implementations specific for the E46 by AIM and others, but I doubt we will see new development for this generation's bus. Recent BMWs do not show issues like the E46 and OBD adapters deliver CAN speed for them. So this is history now and no new chip development will invest in a car generation ending in 2006...

- Harry
I was not very clear, BMW and mini had canbus way way back but it's not connected to the obd port they put Kline on that port, the pins for canbus are not populated

You can tap the fast canbus but it requires reading raw data not obd protocol, that's how some other hardware does it, I got a quote for a raw canbus to obd2 converter I might have it built
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Harry - when you say disable other BT devices, do you mean make sure your phone isn’t connected to them OR actually have it disabled from car’s perspective (e.g. pulling a fuse)?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Disable other BT devices: every BT device offering a connection “advertises its identity and services”. This advertisement uses up a large portion of BT bandwidth available. So if your car stereo is not paired and advertises because of this, any communication between your smartphone and an OBD adapter will get a big performance hit. To check whether your car stereo produces such a hit, disable it (or pull fuse if not possible).

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Dubbedown
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Dubbedown »

Yea I just don’t think you can easily disable Bluetooth devices that are built-in to the car but appreciate the clarification.