Help with external cam only

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Help with external cam only

Post by devenh »

Using 20.0.3 on an iPhone 6 with the latest iOS and a GoPro 3+.

The iPhone is connected to the GoPro 3+ and I can control the iPhone with the GoPro app. In HLT Timer view, I click on Video and the external cam only icon is highlighted. The text says the camera is connected. I'm running an autocross with the start set to starting line. But after I run the course, no video has been recorded.

What should I check? Also, obviously the GoPro wifi has to be on, but does the GoPro have to be on or will HLT turn it on and start recording?

On a different topic, HLT says it is conditionally operational with the battery highlighted in yellow. I am running on battery, but it is 90+% charged so I was surprised to get a warning.

Thanks,

Deven
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help with external cam only

Post by Harry »

For the HERO3/3+ the issue is the WiFi password mostly. You do not get an error in case it is wrong but will see the cam connected - even with a wrong password. In case you are not sure on the WiFi password, reset it using the GoPro app and enter it in LapTimer again (Settings).

The battery item is a warning and can be ignored. It is one of the most common sources for failure, so it is checked and displayed in v20. In case it disturbs you, disable the Power Supply warning in Settings.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

And does the GoPro wifi and camera have to be on or just the wifi on? IOW, if the camera is off, will HTL turn it on?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For the HERO3/3+, LapTimer will turn the cam on and off while the WiFi module needs to be always on.
For the HERO4 and Sony cams, the cam needs to be fully powered on and will not be powered down by LapTimer.
Video Documentation of www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation has a list with device specific characteristics.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

I did get the external cam only working today at an AX event, but there was one glitch. As I approached the starting area I would set Timer view and press Video. The external cam only icon was highlighted, but the text below said there was no connection even though I had a wifi connection. But if I selected the far left icon (no camera?) and then selected the external cam only icon, the text would say it had a connection. This happened several times.

Deven

EDIT: My original post said "But if I selected the far left icon (no camera?) and then selected the external cam only icon, the text would say it not had a connection." I have corrected the above text to say that after selecting the external cam only option, a connection was established. So toggling this option seems to reset it.
Last edited by devenh on Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Same here using Sony cam. The App also went unresponsive several times doing that too.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Please note the correction to my previous post.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

devenh wrote:Please note the correction to my previous post.
When doing this, the external cam is disconnected and reconnected again. So it kind of forces connection making. When switching operation to external only the first time, has a connection be reported? Has it been lost up to the point when you entered Video Operation again? While a HERO or Sony is connected, you should see a white on black (or black on white) cam symbol in the status gadget with green and blue bubbles blinking periodically. This is communication going on to keep status in sync. In case it drops at some time and you can reproduce it, I need to check.

My guts feeling says this is part of the problems one always has with wireless connections, but there may be a general issue too.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

I'll test some more later this week and get back to you.

Another external only cam question. Is there a way in an AX type event to record 2 minutes before and 2 minutes after the run?

I tried manually starting the camera before the run. This recorded video before the run, but when the run ended, recording stopped. Then when I tried to overlay it, the overlay was applied to the beginning of the video when I was still in the starting grid. I see that one can set the sync point manually, and this solved the sync issue, but of course I didn't have any post run video.

So it looks like I just have to manually operate the camera manually align them. Have I overlooked anything?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You used the mixed mode recording which should actually continue recording video past the end of the track if started manually ahead of the automatic start. We had another report here on the forum on this. The current work around is to change the stop trigger into a stop/go trigger. Once you have finished your run, video and data recording will still be active. Press Cancel here to purge the "lap" from finish to your current position and stop video. This will give you intro and extro video coverage.

Harry
Image Image Image Image