App always hangs up and video never worked

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
ct087ct087
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

App always hangs up and video never worked

Post by ct087ct087 »

I'm new to Harry's LapTimer App. So far I've met several issue on my iphone6 during testing the app before the upcoming track day.

1) in the initial use, after define user and load track, the app hang up when i click on "Drive". I can get it thru sometimes but sometimes hang up.
2) sometimes, i click on "Timer", it also hangs up.
3) When I get into "Timer" and click on video, clicking on top-left icon starts the recording so i tested by taking some short videos. The problem I met is that i can't review the video under video list (sometimes i can't get into Video List, the app just looks like hang up.) Even i can get into video list, the video never show up (video type is raw). I've tried to click "move to" camera roll but the video has never showed up in camera roll.

I did try to reboot my iphone6. sometimes, the app responds better but the video has never worked so far. Just wonder if i did anything wrongly....my iphone has 10GB free space. Whenever Harry's app got hang up and i force to quit or just leave it, the iphone will become very unstable until i reboot it.....

appreciated if any hints troubleshooting the issue. Thanks!

EDT
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: App always hangs up and video never worked

Post by Harry »

That's not a known problem. Something with the phone's configuration... Please delete the app and install it again. Make sure any permission requested is granted.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ct087ct087
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ct087ct087 »

I've tried to reinstall and double check the privacy on Camera, Microphone and Photos. All are allowed.

Initially, the background was white in color but later it changed to black.
IMG_7180.PNG
IMG_7180.PNG (120.64 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
I took a 42MB video.

When i try to "Move to Photo", it showed up "Transferring Video to Library" but it seems never completed....

Then i quit the app and reboot the iphone and go into the app again and try to click on the Video, the video is not showing up but the phone screen just held up as below. i can quit the app but the phone becomes not stable again.
IMG_7184.PNG
IMG_7184.PNG (121.93 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Would that be caused by memory usage? I use whatsapp, facebook, email checking daily....but i assume rebooting the phone should release memory usage......

I really need to fix this video issue before the upcoming trackday....
ct087ct087
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ct087ct087 »

BTW, i did also try to trigger my GoPro Session (use MultiCam Setting None). The GoPro Session did record video on its mem. card so the app did work. So far, internal video not working.

For internal video, while taking video, the iphone screen looks and works properly so i assume it did take the video. however, somehow, those video can be reviewed/replayed....
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi again,

I just recall some users with hundreds of video clips in there Photo app had issue with video handling in LapTimer. This problem has been worked around for all but some really extreme cases some versions ago...

So please check your Photo app for the number of videos showing up. Try disabling LapTimer's access to the Photo library in iOS's privacy settings. When operating LapTimer like this, video are recorded to LapTimer's data area and overlaid video will stay there too. A full or corrupted Photo library will not disturb any more.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
ct087ct087
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ct087ct087 »

Thanks Harry. By disabling LapTimer's access to Photo Library, the video in LapTimer works as expected. That's great!

The remaining issue is i can't "move" those video to Photo Library.....nor copying them out.

My backup plan is buying a new Android (with removal microSD) so that i don't need to clean up my video clips in iphone photo library. Is there anyway that i can transfer the app to Android instead of purchasing again?

ct087
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

In case the problem disappears once you turn off Photo library access, the problem is about the amount of videos sitting in Photo library already. This is not about LapTimer videos but any media sitting there!

The current workaround will certainly remove the ability to move videos to the Photo library - that's two way.

Other options you have:

1) Do housekeeping on your Photo library. Move videos you do not need on your device to your desktop. Once you have reduced the number to a reasonable number of videos, you can enable access again.
2) Keep videos in LapTimer's area and watch them from within LapTimer. You can copy them to your desktop using iTunes too. Check Video Documentation (www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation) on information how to access LapTimer's data area.

Switching to Android will work around the iOS Media Library access, but probably introduce other limitations. In case you want to go this path, we have a partial refund program available. See "Mover Support" on www.gps-laptimer.de/products.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ct087ct087
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ct087ct087 »

Thanks Harry! yes the problem disappear after turn off photo library access.

I'm happy if itune is able to copy out the mov in the app. just my 2 cents that you may also if any solution to prevent the issue when there are too many video clips in photo library (FYI, there are 880 video clips in my iphone, in fact, it hard to say how many is reasonable no. of clips)...just my2cents.

On Android, it will be my backup plan. I assume the app works as same as on IOS, isn't it? (why you say there is limitation?) i'm ok to purchase the app on android again so that i don't need to deal with my iphone photo library.

ct087
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nothing special. Things differ here and there. I just wanted to remind you there will be issues with every platform is some spots. Due to the number of different devices for Android, issues are more frequent here. Changing the ecosystem just because you probably overstretched the video capacity, is probably a too big step. In case you have other reasons - fine.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
ct087ct087
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ct087ct087 »

Got it! the android backup plan will be only for using this app on trackday... i will stay with iphone for daily use.

Well, Great support! Thanks indeed.