OBDII Data

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
dookie454
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: OBDII Data

Post by dookie454 »

Harry wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 pm Hello,

In case I remember correctly, there have been some issues with OBD recordings when using the Video Preview while driving. This is the reason the alert is shown when bringing up the Preview (checking field of view only etc). So can you please clarify if you used the Video Preview while recording? In case you did, please try Timer or Engine etc view for a test.

Using a 5Hz GPS with 10 Hz storage rate is a pretty special setting, not covered by regular tests. For a 5 Hz GPS I recommend using GPS Rate independent from the problem we are discussing currently. So for the next test, please switch to GPS Rate.

Next, please let me know what you see in Engine View with the BT1 connected and the engine running. In case you do not have GrandPrix (i.e. no Engine View), use the GPS View - it will show some OBD data in the bottom of the screen.

- Harry
Yes I always use the Video Preview window when doing this sort of thing, and leave it running that way since that is the only way I can see all of the info I need on one screen. And yes I have the GrandPrix version. Is worth it!

I can try without preview up. Thanks for the fast reply!
dookie454
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by dookie454 »

Harry wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 pm Hello,

In case I remember correctly, there have been some issues with OBD recordings when using the Video Preview while driving. This is the reason the alert is shown when bringing up the Preview (checking field of view only etc). So can you please clarify if you used the Video Preview while recording? In case you did, please try Timer or Engine etc view for a test.

Using a 5Hz GPS with 10 Hz storage rate is a pretty special setting, not covered by regular tests. For a 5 Hz GPS I recommend using GPS Rate independent from the problem we are discussing currently. So for the next test, please switch to GPS Rate.

Next, please let me know what you see in Engine View with the BT1 connected and the engine running. In case you do not have GrandPrix (i.e. no Engine View), use the GPS View - it will show some OBD data in the bottom of the screen.

- Harry
Hello! - Update:

YEs it happens in both Preview Mode and without Preview Mode up. Options for engine info greyed out in overlay screen.

Also I have slow 1hz OBD update rate, but do have RPM and TPS on the Preview Window. I have at least half of the avail PIDs in the ignore list also.

Would slow OBD rate cause that? Not sure why it's slow, it's on a 2020 Silverado. It was cutting out OBD data but that was when I had 7E0 set, and changed to ECU and that stopped cutting out. Normally it's on a 2010 Camaro and it worked awhile ago (1-2yrs?)

Thanks!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please forget about video for now. Using Engine View, what do you see with OBD connected and engine running? When troubleshooting things it is always good to check things one by one.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dookie454
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by dookie454 »

I've played with it quite a bit, and I can only get 1hz from the OBD data, GoPoint BT1, and really I only get RPM, nothing else.

I've tried excluding most of the PIDs on the list, changing a bunch of other settings, but still only 1hz from the OBD data, and really only RPM.

I know this worked in the past, but havent tried it in a couple years.

Also have the red dot on the GoPoint, that usually means something is wrong, correct? The GoPoint seems to work fine with DashCommand, it shows the data streaming like normal, faster rate.

Thanks
IMG_5034.png
IMG_5034.png (564.74 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
IMG_5033.png
IMG_5033.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2572 times
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You have changed the "ECUs Addressed" Expert Setting to something like $EC? This field should be either ALL, PCM, TCM or a valid hex address. Please set "ECUs Addressed" to "ALL" (without quotes). Goto Sensor List and press Refresh. Then connect, I'm positive it will work.

To make sure there is no issue with the ECUs Addressed parameter in general, please let me know what precisely you had in this field.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dookie454
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by dookie454 »

I tried the variety that I had, including 7E0 and 7DF, since those are what I use with my separate CAN OBD display device, and ended back up at ALL.

Tried ECU since that is in the help description below, and that changes itself to the $EC you mention.

Also tried the reply address I use with 20-30hz on my stand alone device and that is 7E8.

They all still show 1hz. 1/0/0/0.

I get dropouts/disconnects with ALL though, maybe one every 30 seconds or so (data goes dead, Device and Bus Type go blank). Changing to ECU ($EC) fixes that. But still, 1hz update rate.

Also, only getting RPM, nothing else is showing up with any of these ECU addresses.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please the start with making sure you are in the latest app version (v24.0.4).

The BT1 is usually working without any tweak, so this is what we need to return to. Please start LapTimer and press the Contact button. Send the contact mail with note "please check my OBD settings" to Harry@gps-laptimer.de

I will come back with instructions.

Btw., when entering ECM, I get ECM in ECUs Addressed. Not $EC? In case you can reproduce this, please send the precise steps you are going through and include snapshots if feasible.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
dookie454
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by dookie454 »

Harry wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 pm Please the start with making sure you are in the latest app version (v24.0.4).

The BT1 is usually working without any tweak, so this is what we need to return to. Please start LapTimer and press the Contact button. Send the contact mail with note "please check my OBD settings" to Harry@gps-laptimer.de

I will come back with instructions.

Btw., when entering ECM, I get ECM in ECUs Addressed. Not $EC? In case you can reproduce this, please send the precise steps you are going through and include snapshots if feasible.

- Harry
OK, will do. Email sent.

Laptimer version is v24.0.0.170 - Sept 18, 2020. 13:23:09 according to the help screen. Not sure how to update newer as it's not shown as an update in App store (ios)?

Also, I just joined Developer Program so I can test custom OBD adapter I've been working on (Well, Renato working on mostly, I just worked on sending the OBD requests), and sure enough, that works great at 20hz (datalogs limited by the 1hz GPS signal), and it is logging the OBD data to the .csv file, no problems there. Keep in mind, I started using this custom OBD adapter after I had these BT1 problems, and have not tried BT1 since, I can only assume the problem is still there.

I am curious though, why this BT1 is not working, so thanks for always replying so fast and offering to help!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looking into your settings, I see a number of changes in OBD Expert Settings, the change for "ECUs Addressed" in particular.

kECUsAddressed : 'ECU', expert preference, changed from default 'ALL'

I didn't spot this in you last spots, but this one is wrong. "ECU" stands for "engine control unit". A typical modern car has several ECUs for engine, transmission, etc.

From LapTimer's Engine documentation:
By default, OBD adapters will broadcast any request to the vehicle network. It is well possible more than one ECU will deliver a result and return it to the app. A sample is shown in Full Cycle Requesting Channel RPM with 2 ECUs Answering were the engine revolutions per minute are returned by both the Engine Control Module (ECM or PCM) and the Transmission Control Module (TCM). Broadcasted requests are named “functional calls” in a bus infrastructure. While broadcasting is convenient (we do not need to know to which ECU to talk), we are mostly not interested in receiving the same piece of data multiple times.
So ALL, ECM, PCM, TCM can be used for protocol independent addressing, or a hex string to use a protocol specific header.

Not matching one of the symbolic names ("ECU" <> "ECM"), your current string "ECU" is parsed as hex "EC" shown as $"EC". The M is omitted because it is not a valid HEX character.

So please change it to ALL to verify standard operation and switch to ECM or PCM for optimization.

NB: most of recent LapTimer OBD optimizations went into the ELM protocol. GoPoint's adapters use a proprietary protocol I do not further refine. So some of the tricks listed in the engine documentation may not work for the BT1 at all.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
west1785
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by west1785 »

I'm trying to see real time engine data from Tonwon BTLE OBD sensor but it says it's not available in this app edition. I have Petrolhead edition v24.0.4, The engine icon (Analysis -> Realtime - Engine) is greyed out. Sensor is connected and working fine. See screenshots attached. Thanks!

145896948_3693829024006204_5780365033791108130_o.jpg
145896948_3693829024006204_5780365033791108130_o.jpg (71.5 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
145125133_3693829027339537_1956288820925018208_o.jpg
145125133_3693829027339537_1956288820925018208_o.jpg (120.01 KiB) Viewed 2169 times