Crashing during overlay

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
nkohler
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Re: Crashing during overlay

Post by nkohler »

I have always done 1080 60fps out of the gopro and never had an issue before IOS 9. Been doing this setup for about a year and a half. However later I will try reencoding the gopro file to just see.
nkohler
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nkohler »

OK so I re-encoded the GoPro video to a .mp4 1080p and it made it to 60% before crashing. The file was a bit smaller than the original GoPro because of the encoding so perhaps that is why it made it a few more percent.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi guys,

To reproduce the issue, please drop me your exact system configuration:

1) which iPhone model (5S, 6, etc)
2) iOS version (9.0.2)
3) original / raw video recorded with (iPhone, GoPro, etc)
4) video format (as detailed as possible, HD/FullHD, fps, encodings) of master
5) PiP video included? any change when adding / removing them?
6) length of lap (or laps for multi-lap overlays) overlayed
7) percentage of progress crashes occur

Thanks!

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
m.a.r.c.
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by m.a.r.c. »

1) which iPhone model (5S, 6, etc) - iPhone 6
2) iOS version (9.0.2) - 9.0.2
3) original / raw video recorded with (iPhone, GoPro, etc) - raw video recorded by iPhone
4) video format of master - 1080p FullHD; H.264, AAC 30fps (coming straight out of iPhone)
5) PiP video included? any change when adding / removing them? - tried with and without PIP, no difference in behavior. PIP video was GoPro Hero 4 Black 720p60fps in case that matters
6) length of lap (or laps for multi-lap overlays) overlayed - original raw videos I've tested with cover around 7-8 laps each and range between 17-22 minutes. for individual laps I'm trying to overlay, the laps are around 2 minutes long. 1:51 to 2:00 range mostly
7) percentage of progress crashes occur - this varies but it's usually somewhere around 25-35%/~1500 frames it seems. the HLT crashes and either leaves me on a blank screen or back to the home screen. when i reopen the HLT app there's usually a remnant of the attempted overlayed video with 00:00.0 Length with a red ! next to it and no thumbnail. with the resolution i've been using it's always 120-150mb large. to note, I've also tried it on a full battery, while charging, and also unplugged in case it had something to do with power. That doesn't seem to be the case. Also tried it in Airplane mode and Do Not Disturb to see if the radios were drawing power/processing that may have interfered... also no change there.
Last edited by m.a.r.c. on Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nkohler
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nkohler »

1) iPhone 5 (not S model)
2) 9.0.2
3) PM'd you a link to download for both lap export data and video files. Files are large at 2.2gig but I have 1g fiber upload so it should not take too long.
4) This is the GoPro 3+ Silver edition setting 1080p 60fps
5) Yes I have PiP that was taken from the iPhone at low res 640x480, i will include the PiP video file
6) Lap #22 Lap time 1:47.75
7) 57% every time on this lap, varies on other laps, but it never makes it past 68% that I have seen on any laps. Each lap % is consistent.
nkohler
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nkohler »

I PM'd you on Facebook because PM is not working on the forum for me
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

@nkohler: thanks for sending the files, that helped a lot!

I could reproduce the crash using an iPhone6 Plus. Memory requirements grew during overlaying from 40 MB to 400 MB - which is the amount iOS seems to kill apps at. For iOS8 memory requirements go up during overlaying too, but stop growing at a certain level (below 200 MB if I recall it correctly). Running the overlay using an iPhone6S memory requirements grew up to something like 1100 MB before finishing successful and going back to 40 MB.

The reason the 6S worked is, it has 2GB of main memory. The 5, 5S, 6, and 6 Plus all have 1 GB only. 1 GB is usually fine because iOS apps do not need that much main memory (as Android devices). But 400 MB up to 1 GB (and even more for longer laps) is clearly too much.

O.k... So the good message is: although work in progress (no solution), it is a good starting point to find a work around. At least a lot better than some video encoding incompatibilities... The bad message: I will need some time to work on it and release a new version. And I'm leaving the town tomorrow for a trip with my family... I will try to work on it while traveling, but it will require up to a week for me and another one for Apple.

Keep your fingers cross and thanks again. I'll keep you posted on this thread.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Update: grows of memory requirements is triggered by creating the PiP thumbnails displayed in the top right. When running the same overlay without the PiP video, memory requirements start at 40MB and go up to 50MB only (what is even better than what I thought). This means it should be no problem to overlay video without PiP (i.e. no second video and no reference video(!) like added in LapTimer GrandPrix).

I'm aware we got some reports here this problem occurs both with and without PiPs. But at least the issue discussed in my last two mails should clearly go away without a PiP.

How to remove the PiP so it can be added easily later? I recommend to rename the PiP video file. You can use iTunes / iPhone / Apps / File Sharing to rename the PiP video from e.g. .mov to .mov2 LapTimer will issue a warning it can't find the PiP, but it will allow you to continue your overlay. Please do not remove the link to the PiP video. Doing this will remove the sync information for the PiP video. It is possible to add it later again, but it cumbersome. Renaming the file from .mov2 to .mov will be a lot easier. To re-overlay the video including the PiP (once a new LapTimer version gets available), simply revert to the original videos, name the file, and run the overlay again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
nkohler
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by nkohler »

Awesome, I will try the PiP rename workaround! My PiP is of my hand inputs so while its great information for me to have, its not crucial for others. At least there is some explanation of why the app crashes. I would love to have a iPhone 6S, but the device I use for HLT is used for HLT only so I typically buy these past gen iPhones up from friends for much cheaper than retail.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Please do not understand my comments as "buy a 6S". LapTimer is fine with 1GB (and mostly 512MB) main memory when things work as designed. As written above, the memory footprint is 50MB only even while overlaying - which is far below what a 5 can handle. Just give some time and we will get it fixed. Keep your fingers cross.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image