Crashing during overlay

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Crashing during overlay

Post by Harry »

In Overlay Configuration (the dialog showing up when pressing Overlay), swipe to page 2. I know it is not too obvious there is a second page. ;-)

But the problem is fixed for the latest version!

Harry
Image Image Image Image
Henry_Au
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Henry_Au »

Harry,

Just checked it the ref is off and the latest version is installed. Now instead of crashing it hangs on processing vedio; stayed processing all night.. Tried three times unsuccefully so far.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Henry_Au wrote:Harry,

Just checked it the ref is off and the latest version is installed. Now instead of crashing it hangs on processing vedio; stayed processing all night.. Tried three times unsuccefully so far.
You used a video from this Kaiser Bass? Maybe there is some incompatibility between their file format and iOS's video library? You may try piping it through a video editor to create a new encoding. Please use H.264 video encoding and AAC audio. Resolution should be 1080 (FullHD) or 720 (HD) and fps at 30/25 (other may work too but to understand the issue it is probably best to go "standard").

Anyone else with this issue?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Henry_Au
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Henry_Au »

I was able to get one lap working fine but if I try more than one lap it will not work.. do you want me to email you the diagnostic files?
Henry_Au
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Henry_Au »

oops the video was done using iMovie.. forgotten that one :)
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The type of diagnostics I need are not available in LapTimer's production version. The only option to debug this item is you make both the laps (.hlptrl) and the video file itself available in a server so I can try to reproduce it.

Otherwise, please check if you can reproduce the effect it works for single laps but doesn't for multi lap overlays. Is it possible to view the video file produced by iMovie on your iPhone?

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Henry_Au
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Henry_Au »

Yes the file is playable on my phone.

I took one video using my phone and had the camera attached to the car to take another video, after I calibrated the start time, I deleted the iPhone video and made sure the ref video is not activated. Clicked overlay BUT processing video popped up and stayed for hours.. Without being able to overlay the video..
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

O.k, sounds like special problem... Please check if you find a way to provide video and an export of the session's laps to .hlptrl using some file server or Dropbox.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Henry_Au
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by Henry_Au »

Harry wrote:O.k, sounds like special problem... Please check if you find a way to provide video and an export of the session's laps to .hlptrl using some file server or Dropbox.

- Harry

All sent!! the video is 2.4GB.. let me know if you need anything else to troubleshoot the issue.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for sending, the problem should be fixed using the instructions in my mail.

For all others some lessons learned (or hints) when using external videos:

1) Use simple file names for your videos. No spaces, special characters etc. Using them is mostly safe for LapTimer iOS, but generates lots of issues on LapTimer Android. ASCII alpha numeric characters plus .mp4 extension are what should be used (currently).
2) Take care to create a consistent sync between laps and video. When adding a video to multiple laps (using Add Video or Re-Link), set any sync for all but the last lap you add. When adding the last lap, set the sync point precisely and let LapTimer adjust all other laps automatically (Session adjustment) when asked.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image