Multicam broken on iOS9 ?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multicam broken on iOS9 ?

Post by Harry »

I haven't really touched that area since iOS9 and there may be multiple issues with it. I have a revisit on my list for v20 but do not know if I will be able to get working till its final release. The WiFi requirement which seems to be mandatory since iOS9 makes me think a about a complete redesign of the underlying connection technology. Maybe some BT LE signaling available btw for iOS and Android (newer devices).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rmeroda
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rmeroda »

I came up with a fix since I have a Dual XGPS160, which allows up to 5 iPhone connections. Instead of running MultiCam, I just installed HLT on each iPhone (they are all on the same iCloud Acct). After recording with the 'Multicams' I then (1) make note of the lap end times for each video, (2) delete the acquired lap data (with uncalibrated g-forces), (3) import the lap data from the front-facing iPhone to the 'MultiCam', (4) sync the data to the video and reconfigure the lap end times based on my notes, and (5) have HLT overlay the videos. (Re-syncing the lap times may not be necessary.) Then I download all the videos to my PC and use a program like Shotcut to add cut scenes using the different videos. With each video having the timing overlayed it's super easy to seamlessly line up the transitions. It's more work than letting HLT handle PiP for MultiCam videos but it's not too bad if you like editing. This method would also let you control upto 5 GoPros - one for each iPhone.

[edit] Alternate steps to use HLT's PiP... (2) transfer the 'MultiCam' video to the main phone, (3) edit lap to add new video, (4) configure lap end times based on notes, and (5) overlay video.
cwajciec
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by cwajciec »

Yikes that process is a little outside my expertise. My 2nd iPhone can't run hlt because it is not on any network. hoping Harry will fix the functionality soon so I can use pip for a race coming up.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

cwajciec wrote:My 2nd iPhone can't run hlt because it is not on any network.
OT but HLT doesn't need any network to run. To use the 2nd iPHone by it self you can download the track sets at home while connected to a Wifi.
Once at the track you only need GPS reception for timing, no Wifi or cellular network required. Either use the iPhone's GPS or an external receiver.
rmeroda
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rmeroda »

Good point. An external GPS isn't even needed. Last I time checked, my iPhones internal GPS worked with HLT when I had the phone in airplane mode
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

If all you're interested in is lap and segment times at a race track, the internal GPS may be acceptable. For anything else, the update rate is too low and the precision and accuracy are poor.