Multicam broken on iOS9 ?

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Multicam broken on iOS9 ?

Post by bulls23 »

I haven't been able to use Multicam since I upgraded my devices ti iOS9. Tried with 19.0.20 and 19.022 running on iOS 9 and 9.02.
Multicam App seems to suffer from the same broken video as Laptimer used to on iOS9 and it never connects to the main device.
My Sony cam wouldn't connect either. I tried iPhone 6 with iPhone 4s as Multicam and Sony cam atn the same time = no connection, iPhone 6 with iPhone 4s Multicam = no connection. Haven't tried iPhone 6 with Sony cam yet.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Multicam broken on iOS9 ?

Post by Harry »

Hi,

At least the Sony cam connection is working - I just tested it with 19.0.22. iOS9 changed http:// access rules - which might have broken 19.0.20 operation, but 19.0.22 should work again. Please try again. The iOS MultiCam support might be broken currently, same for iCloud operation. I plan to rework (or drop) that part for v20.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
rmeroda
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rmeroda »

I was just getting ready to post the same thing. I did some trouble shooting last night and found I could only get iOS multicam devices to connect with the master when they also had a wifi connection. I seem to remember they even connected over wifi with Bluetooth turned off. I could not get multicam and master devices to connect using only Bluetooth.

I only tested with iOS devices running iOS 9.0.2 and was using HLT 19.0.22 and multicam 19.0.7.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Tried with Sony Cam only and works fine.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Found the problem...or my personal problem I guess.
I have a 4S for Multicam and it has a SIM too. That's why most of the time it's in airplane mode and I've been using it that way in Multicam mode for years: airplane mode on, Wifi on, Bluetooth on. Apparently in iOS9 things are a bit different. Even though Wifi and Bluetooth can be turned on in airplane mode, the Multicam app will not connect to the master device. As soon as I turn airplane mode off, it works immediately. Funny thing is, the app doesn't ask for Bluetooth to be turned on while in airplane mode...so it "knows" it's turned on but it simply doesn't connect.
rmeroda
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rmeroda »

Interesting. My post above post was using a 4s in airplane mode with Bluetooth turned on. When I get home, I'll try turning airplane mode off, wifi off, and Bluetooth on and see if I get the same results.

Not sure if it's related, but airplane mode seemed to change in iOS9. You can be in airplane mode and HLT is still able to get GPS location.
rmeroda
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by rmeroda »

Bulls23, when you turned airplane mode off did your multicam device connect to a wifi network? I tried turning airplane mode off (with wifi off, Bluetooth on) and still no connection. If go into airplane mode with only wifi on, I get the multicam Bluetooth warning, but with both master and multicam connected to the same wifi network they connect no problem.
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

You are completely right. Yesterday I wanted to test drive it my car and again no Multicam connection to my 4S. Back at home I tried all kinds of things and ended up like you. In fact multicam between iOS devices works only if both devices are in the same Wifi network, no matter if in airplane mode or not. I guess I my older post I somehow had Wifi on / off when switching between airplane modes. So basically in my car I can only connect to my Sony Cam via Wifi but no additional Milticam with my 4S since both devices are not in one Wifi network.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just connect the 4S to the same Sony network, this should work because all devices share a common WiFi. Nevertheless, this looks like an odd development of iOS's D2D communication.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
bulls23
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by bulls23 »

Unfortunately not an option in an ad hoc network.