LapTimer GrandPrix and GoPro Hero 4 Black

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
evilsync
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

LapTimer GrandPrix and GoPro Hero 4 Black

Post by evilsync »

Hi,

I have an upcoming track day and bought Harry's Laptimer GrandPrix to give it a bit of a go with a GoPro Hero 4 Black and a OBDLink MX Bluetooth on my android LG G4 phone.

I've been trying to get it all connected and working at home before the track day.

I have done the following:
- setup my vehicle with all the details I can input
- internal cam (best available), huge size/highest quality
- ticked "discover multicams"
- multicam preset: "picture in picture"
- external cam: "gopro hero 4"
- hero 3/3+ wifi password inputed
- sensor list: "multicam video" and "OBDLink MX" added. Multicam video is green, OBDLink MX is red (not near the car).
- turned on the GoPro Hero 4, turned on wifi, selected "GoPro APP", opened up the GoPro App and connected to the GoPro Hero 4

Now I go to autocross, select name the start / finish as whatever (so I can test it) and then click drive. I click on "video" and only get the internal cam...

Questions:
- What am I doing wrong?
- It has hero 3/3+ wifi password, yet I have a hero4. Does this matter?
- What is picture in picture mean? Is the GoPro the main picture and the internal cam is the corner, or vice versa?
- How do I select all internal cam footage to be stored to the external SD card (I've got a 128GB microSD card installed)?

Thank you.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LapTimer GrandPrix and GoPro Hero 4 Black

Post by Harry »

For connection making, please kill the GoPro app once you got it connected to the HERO4. Otherwise both the GoPro app and LapTimer will take to the HERO - which is probably not a good idea. For the HERO4, there is a known issue (more on the HERO than on he app side). To save power, it will turn off WiFi but it will still report it is on. The GoPro app will wake it up using BT, but this is not yet officially supported by 3rd party apps. To work around, please re-check the WiFi connection is still reported for your Android phone. In case it isn't, turn the HERO4 off and on again and re-establish the WiFi connection in Android.

Once you navigate to Video View, you should see a small gray bullet blinking in the cam icon (Video View status bar). This means LapTimer is looking for external devices. In case it does not, either one of the settings you named is wrong or the WiFi is not active.

The HERO3/3+ password is needed for the HERO3/3+ It is not used otherwise.

With MultiCam Preset you define the role the external video will have. In case you set it to PiP, LapTimer will reduce the HERO resolution and use it for PiPs in overlays (and the video recorded with the internal cam as master). Usually you want to select Master here.

During startup, LapTimer checks all available storage places for memory available. New videos will be stored in the place with most space available. More information on memory management (and MultiCam) is available in LapTimer's Video Documentation (www.gps-laptimer.de ‣ Documentation).

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
evilsync
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by evilsync »

Harry wrote:For connection making, please kill the GoPro app once you got it connected to the HERO4. Otherwise both the GoPro app and LapTimer will take to the HERO - which is probably not a good idea. For the HERO4, there is a known issue (more on the HERO than on he app side). To save power, it will turn off WiFi but it will still report it is on. The GoPro app will wake it up using BT, but this is not yet officially supported by 3rd party apps. To work around, please re-check the WiFi connection is still reported for your Android phone. In case it isn't, turn the HERO4 off and on again and re-establish the WiFi connection in Android.
I've found that the GoPro app needs to remain "open" or running in the background for it to appear green in the sensor list.
Once you navigate to Video View, you should see a small gray bullet blinking in the cam icon (Video View status bar). This means LapTimer is looking for external devices. In case it does not, either one of the settings you named is wrong or the WiFi is not active.
I have this appear sometimes. It's very flakey. But when it does appear I press record and the grey dot turns red. Then I go into analysis, lap list, click the lap and then press the "+ camera" icon and wait for the GoPro footage to appear. It doesn't appear, I check the GoPro internal storage and nothing was recorded...

So does the gray bullet only tell you that it's searching for external device and not that it is connected and ready? How do you know when it's ready and connected? Isn't thats what the sensor list is for (green means its connected)?
The HERO3/3+ password is needed for the HERO3/3+ It is not used otherwise.
OK, I have deleted this.
With MultiCam Preset you define the role the external video will have. In case you set it to PiP, LapTimer will reduce the HERO resolution and use it for PiPs in overlays (and the video recorded with the internal cam as master). Usually you want to select Master here.
OK, they are all PiP but one takes priority.
During startup, LapTimer checks all available storage places for memory available. New videos will be stored in the place with most space available. More information on memory management (and MultiCam) is available in LapTimer's Video Documentation (http://www.gps-laptimer.de ‣ Documentation).

- Harry
Thanks
evilsync
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by evilsync »

I can't get this working. Do you have any detailed instructions?

Edit: I'm an idiot.

I wasn't connecting the LG G4 to the GoPro via WiFi, I was using the app. Hence there wasn't a constant connection once I exited the app. Anyway, I still can't get it 100% working.

I got the GoPro to record at the same time as the phone with a nice image of the GoPro appearing in the top right hand corner with blue/red lights flashing.

However once I stop the recording, I go to lap analysis, look at the lap and see there is the preview of the master video (the phone) but the PiP video (the GoPro) says "Offline". I press the the "Offline" preview and click on the "camera +" button in the top corner and navigate to the correct video. I confirm that I want to reference to the actual video and sync the points. Now both the master and PiP videos display correctly. I go to overlay and I get an error saying that the PiP video assigned is not available currently...

If I was to overlay the master video and the "offline" PiP video, it only shows the master video...

How can you overlay the videos together?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

evilsync wrote:However once I stop the recording, I go to lap analysis, look at the lap and see there is the preview of the master video (the phone) but the PiP video (the GoPro) says "Offline". I press the the "Offline" preview and click on the "camera +" button in the top corner and navigate to the correct video. I confirm that I want to reference to the actual video and sync the points. Now both the master and PiP videos display correctly. I go to overlay and I get an error saying that the PiP video assigned is not available currently...
Have you transferred the video from GoPro to your smartphone? Or are you just relinking the remote video with the remote video? While the cam is connected (and a HERO4), LapTimer will display a thumbnail of videos sitting on the GoPro, but it cannot overlay them before they are fully transferred. Maybe there is a warning missing I should actually add...

Please check the FANTASTIC VIDEO DOCUMENTATION available from http://www.gps-laptimer.de/documentation for the details and step-by-step descriptions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
evilsync
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by evilsync »

Thank you. I got it working while at home and managed to overlay them. Very nice!

Today, I gave it a quick go in the car with the OBD2.

I tried to overlay and got the error:

"Confirmation

Number of laps available for multi lap overlays reduced to inconsistent sync points. Please adjust the laps sync points and agree to adjust the full session."

and then I got the following error message straight after:

"Warning

To get reasonable rpm/gear displays, you need to configure both engine and powertrain settings for vehicle 'FiestaST'"

Not too sure what these error messages even mean.

I tried to set two points - a start and a finish, but once I selected the start, it wouldn't let me select the finish point.

I've also got all the car settings in besides Drive Ratio.

I'll attach the youtube videos.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Both items are warning. The first one can be ignored, it simply means some laps covered by a single video cannot be overlaid using the same overlay action (multi lap overlay). This happens if e.g. you go into the pits and return to the track with the cam still active. But there are other more technical reasons too. LapTimer will present only those laps you can overlay in one piece when starting overlay.

The second one means you have not yet completed vehicle information LapTimer requires to calculate gears. These are the gear and drive ratios as well as wheel size and drive type (front, back, all). Goto LapTimer ‣ Administration ‣ Vehicle List ‣ FistaST and adjust the settings.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
evilsync
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by evilsync »

[youtube]WFse0bAg9og[/youtube]

[youtube]sjScXiPZ3JU[/youtube]

Those are the videos and separate problems as you can see.

I'll fill out the rest of the info.

EDIT: So I hadn't filled out the Drive Ratio / Gear ratios as I didn't have the info. I have copied the US version of the car but might be different to the Euro/Australian spec of the 2015 Fiesta ST. Does this matter? Won't the data just be pulled from the OBD2 connector?
ajsmithvmi
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by ajsmithvmi »

Harry,

I am on this step of transfer from action cam to laptimer: Press Download (button in the bottom of Video Details for iOS , image button in the top right for Android ) to start
the download from action cam to smartphone.

But I get this message "downloading videos is not supported for external cam GoPro hero3/3+, or multicam is disabled in general.

Multicam is NOT disabled. SO why am I getting this message?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Because the HERO3 has a flaky web server implementation making it no fun to use. There is an expert setting to turn the function on for the H3, but I do not recommend to use it. Even when using the download function, LapTimer cannot identify automatically which video linked in LapTimer is the one downloaded (no meta data, no time stamp). So instead, transfer the footage manually and re-link the laps (it is easy). Please consult LapTimer Video Documentation from www.gps-laptimer.de for the details and step-by-steps.

Harry
Image Image Image Image