[SOLVED] Unable to connect to Tom Tom GPS with iPhone 4S

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
mason
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

[SOLVED] Unable to connect to Tom Tom GPS with iPhone 4S

Post by mason »

I just purchased an iPhone 4S upgrading from a 3GS. I had Lap Timer Standard (v14.1) and have been using the application for 2 years. With the 4S I decided I would purchase Lap Timer Pro (v14.2) instead of upgrading from Standard.
I now have both versions installed on my 4S but am having issues getting the Pro version to utilize my Tom Tom Car Kit GPS. The Tom Tom shows up in the Sensor List with a yellow dot as “available” but after several minutes it won’t connect. If I launch the standard version it shows “connected” to the Tom Tom GPS.
I thought perhaps I was experiencing some kind of conflict with the 2 programs so I deleted the standard version from my but the ability to connect to the Tom Tom GPS didn’t change.
I have a track day coming up on Friday how do I get my 4S to connect to the Tom Tom GPS with Lap Timer Pro?
Details:
iPhone 4S – iOS 5.0
Harry’s Lap Timer Std v14.1
Harry’s Lap Timer Pro v14.2
Tom Tom Car Kit GPS
Unable to get HLT Pro to connect to the Tom Tom GPS
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unable to connect to Tom Tom GPS with iPhone 4S and Pro

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Please check LapTimer->Settings->Expert Settings->Use GPS Accessories
This should be enabled / On. After having changed this, plug your iPhone4S into the cradle again.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mason
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mason »

Use GPS Accessories was already enabled
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

That's odd. The yellow indicator means the accessory is detected but not accessed directly. I'd assume the TomTom is used nevertheless - with GPS data coming through Apple's location stack. I will check once I'm happy enough to receive my own iPhone4S... AppStore says 18th - 24th Oct. I will check what is going on here.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
mason
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by mason »

Why would it work with Standard version and not the Pro?
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

The major difference is that 14.2 Pro was compiled using the new iOS5 tool chain. iOS behaves different depending on the tool chain used. Apple tries to not break former behavior of iOS to not break existing code. Besides testing this once I have my iPhone4S, we will see if this is the difference when 14.3 is available. I switched back to iOS4.3 tool chain to work around some incompatibilities with older iPhones (3G and before).

Btw, LapTimer Standard and Pro are separate apps, there is no relation between these two on your devices.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
humancyborg
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by humancyborg »

I can confirm similar problems with iOS 5 on both the iPhone 4 and 4S using the Dual XGPS150.

With LapTimer Pro the XGPS shows up as 'available' with a yellow dot in the sensor list, and no GPS lock is ever achieved and nothing happens. The dual app and other apps work fine.

With LapTimer non-pro it appears to work fine.

I was hoping to use at the track this weekend so this is definitely poor timing. Of course there is now no way to downgrade to iOS 4.x anymore either.

Please let me know if I can help troubleshoot in any way, I have several iPhone's in the house.
Liurad
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Liurad »

I have exactly the same problem. yellow dot next to tom-tom gps. Lap timer fails to utilize it even though there is a gps fix from the Tom Tom gps. I have an event to go this Friday. Hope you can fix the code soon enough.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

So it seems to be a general problem with the iOS5 tool chain used for 14.2, not the iPhone4S, and not the accessory type.
The Standard most probably works because iOS5 treats it different as a pre iOS5 compile.
  1. As stated below, I can test once I receive a test device.
  2. I've submitted LT 14.3 because of the problems with old ARM6 powered iPhones anyway. Should be available in a few days. This one is compiled with the pre iOS5 tool chain again and will most probably work with your accessories.
  3. Till then, please disable NMEA access at all: LapTimer->Settings->Expert Settings->Use GPS Accessories->Off Doing this, your GPSes will pass position through Apple's location service. No Satellites View and other features, but you can use it on track days.
Sorry for any inconvenience.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

Found a well hidden information on a change in iOS5: accessories need to be declared by an app to get allowed to connect to them. I guess 14.3 will fix this (backward compatibility) and I will add theses declarations to future versions.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image