Crashes when defining autocross

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Crashes when defining autocross

Post by devenh »

Using 19.0.4 last weekend on an iPhone 6 and each time I defined an autocross it would crash under the following circumstances:

1. Press define start
2. Turn off phone
3. Walk the course (5-10 minutes)
4. Turn on phone
5. Press define finish

However it would work if I skipped step 2-4 and walked directly from the start to the finish.

Deven
jwmelvin
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Crashes when defining autocross

Post by jwmelvin »

I also have found this a bit frustrating. I use iPhone 5. It's awkward to keep the phone on but not press any buttons when walking the course. Perhaps this is an additional feature request, but it would be nice to be able to set the finish and start in arbitrary order, including periods of power off.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Just to make sure you are aware of: it is not necessary to walk the course. Once you have set the start, walk straight to the finish - that's the way it is designed. I will check the crash nevertheless. :-)

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
gplracerx
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by gplracerx »

The autocross wizard is a convenience. If you can't conveniently walk directly from start to finish to define the course, then it's probably simpler to define the course manually using the GPS page to set POI's when you get to them.
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Harry wrote:Just to make sure you are aware of: it is not necessary to walk the course. Once you have set the start, walk straight to the finish - that's the way it is designed. I will check the crash nevertheless. :-)
Thanks. It didn't crash in v18.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue. When saying turn on and off, do you use the Sleep button (top right side of iPhone)? Another note: now, with v19, you can reset start or finish by touching the check marked boxes in the assistant view. So you can set both positions quickly anywhere and revisit start and stop once you are there. Not sure though, it helps too much...

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

Yes, the sleep button. I'll test again at the next autocross in 10 days.
numonekobefan
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by numonekobefan »

I have also experienced this many times at auto crosses. The way it happened to me was that I went to the start line, I pressed the "Define Start", walked the course which probably took about ten minutes, then at the finish line I unlocked my phone (my phone automatically goes to sleep after 2 minutes), pressed "Define Finish" and it crashed.

I've also experienced a crash where I define the start, walk the course, then after unlocking my phone the orientation changed (portrait to landscape) probably because I put my phone in my pocket, rotated the phone to restore the orientation back to portrait, and crashed after pressing "Define Finish".

It's kind of a pain, but the only work around I've had 100% success with is by literally walking to the start, pressing "Define Start", keeping my phone from going to sleep by touching the screen every so often, and walking directly to the finish and pressing "Define Finish".

I use an iPhone 6 with a Dual XGPS sampling at 10Hz.
devenh
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by devenh »

I tested again last weekend and still had the problem.

To get it to reliably work my routine becomes walk the course, walk from the finish to the start, set the starting line, walk back to the finish, set the finish line.

If it can't be fixed so I can just walk the course, at least let me set the finish first, then the start. This would save some walking back and forth. Not that I don't need the exercise :D, it's just that I am usually running late and have better uses for the time!
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I'm still not able to reproduce the behavior. Can you please describe exactly how the phone is handled / rotated etc, is it going to sleep from power saving, do you press the sleep button, etc. It seems I'm not able to think of all alternatives. ;-) If it crashed, please send me the exact time and time zone - maybe I can see it in the crash logs.

I want to repeat the work around is super easy: start the AX assistant, walk to start, set start, walk some feet, set the stop *anywhere*. Create the AX. Now turn off or sleep your iPhone or whatever and walk to the finish. Pull LapTimer to foreground again, select Analysis -> Realtime -> Map and drag the finish trigger to your current / correct position.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image