Problems with video overlays

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Problems with video overlays

Post by Harry »

LapTimer has a nice feature showing the video currently recorded with on screen dashboard overlays. This Video View is activated using the Video button available in LapTimer Professional and LapTimer Standard with the Video Feature added. Although this 'overlayed video' can be shown on screen, the iPhone's performance is not good enough to record the video overlayed in real time. To understand this, you need to take the higher resolution of a video compared to the screen *and* the compression that is applied to videos.

Because of this, laps with video recording show up with the raw video in the beginning. To get a overlayed video, goto the Lap Details of the respective lap, scroll to the bottom, and press the 'Overlay' button. Overlaying takes a factor of 2 to 3 compared to the lap's time. In case the button is not available, on of three conditions are not given: your device needs to be capable of generating videos (e. g. iOS4.2 or later), the lap recorded needs to have GPS data, and a raw video needs to be available for the track.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
TomMurray
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Problems with video overlays

Post by TomMurray »

Hi Harry,

In regards to video overlays, on my iPhone 4 (using RAM motorcycle mount) I'm getting a very 'rippled' and shakey video. Do you have any recommendations for smoothing this out or is this an issue with the iPhones video recorder?

Regards,

Tom.
Matz
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Matz »

Hi Harry,

First of all, I'd just like to say that I love the app. It is super easy to use and has a large number of convenient features, especially the online add-ons. There are only a couple of issues I have with the app, and one of them is with the overlays. For some reason, when I go to my lap details and look at the video thumbnail, it's upside down. If I play the video, it plays properly, i.e. right side up. If I then do the video overlay, the overlay is fine but the video is still upside down.

I've then tried to delete the overlay video, but the lap details page then loses the previous (non-overlay) video, so I can't ever get back to the original video from the lap details page.

I'm running Build Feb 27 2001, 13:23:45.

Thanks!
Dave
stoni133
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by stoni133 »

Hallo Harry,

ich hoffe es ist OK wenn ich hier etwas auf Deutsch poste, ansonsten werde ich es auch noch einmal für alle anderen übersetzen...

Erst einmal danke für das Update auf Ver.13, überlege mir auch noch ein OBDII Dongle zu kaufen, habe mich aber noch nicht entschieden welchen ich nehmen soll.
Wäre dann auch zu Betatest bereit, falls der Dongle noch nicht unterstützt wird.

Nun zu meinem Problem:

Seit dem Update steht ja nun auch der Name des Autos und der Stecke mit im Overlay.
Dies versteht sich allerdings nicht mit UTF-8, sodass aus "Coupé" "CoupE" mit einem kleinen Hacken auf dem E
Und aus "Landstraße" wird "Landstrafle"
Ist wahrscheinlich nur ein Zeichensatzproblem, sieht aber ein bisschen blöd im Video aus.

Ansonsten habe ich keine Fehler in der neuen Version gefunden. Also super Arbeit ;)
In 2 Monaten starten die ersten Touren, dann werde ich auch mal ein bisschen Videomaterial posten.
(Für längere Aufnahmen wäre eine niedrigere Aufnahmequalität auch von Vorteil, aber das ist erst mal nicht so wichtig.)

Gruß
Stefan
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Dies versteht sich allerdings nicht mit UTF-8, sodass aus "Coupé" "CoupE" mit einem kleinen Hacken auf dem E
Und aus "Landstraße" wird "Landstrafle"
Dachte das repariert zu haben... Nehme ich noch mal auf die Liste, Danke.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Pathorrocks
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Pathorrocks »

Harry

I purchased the app yesterday and it seems great.

I have one problem. When I overlay videos they have a watermark over the top which says "update laptimer from AppStore".

I have the professional version so thought this feature was included. What do I need to update?

Please let me know

Thanks

Patrick
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Hi Patrick,

That is a buggy check on correct installation. It will be removed in 13.2 (which is already submitted to Apple).
You can overlay your videos again with 13.2, please keep the original video recording.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
Pathorrocks
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by Pathorrocks »

Hi Harry

I have re installed and now works with no Watermark.

What a great app. I am just trying to find software I can export the data to. I tried Aim's race manager which I regularly use at work but it won't recognise the file types. Also trying to figure out the export to google earth.

Other than that the app is fantastic I cant stop telling my colleagues about it, hopefully you'll sell a few more soon ;)

Thanks

Patrick
e_loco
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by e_loco »

hi harry

first of all amazing app - thanks a lot i really appreciate this tool. for a hobby pilot as me an ideal solution.
We did some test this week on the pannoniacircuit in hungary. I was running parallel a laptimer of AIM. The maximum difference between your device and the aim was 0.03 sec - which is really ok i would say.

I also did some video with my gopro cam. I am trying now to put all togehter with dashware. But i get an error once trying to upload the csv file which i exported from the laptimer.
Pls see this link with the screenshot of the error message
http://img25.imageshack.us/i/erroruploaddashboard.jpg/

any idea what this could be ?

ciao

stefan
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thanks for your feedback.

Just tested a recent CSV export with the most recent test version of DashWare (1.1.72). It had the Harry's LapTimer Data Profile included already, and I was able to open the CSV without a problem. Please check if there is a problem with the Data Profile and that you have used the export specialized for DashWare.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image