Problems with video overlays

Help on issues you run into with LapTimer; in case you have a question on how to use LapTimer, use the forum "Using LapTimer" instead
sylvain007
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Re: Problems with video overlays

Post by sylvain007 »

Ok, so speed is also coming from the Kiwi Wifi, good to know.

I will check your advises and keep you posted. Maybe I should move the Kiwi closer to the iPhone too.
MX5RACER
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by MX5RACER »

sylvain007 wrote:I am using:
- iPhone 4s (on the right of the wheel)
- Tomtom car kit
- Kiwi Wifi (under passagers feet)
- Harry v15 (last Saturday version available)
- GoPro video

Next, I imported the GoPro video on my iphone, and used the overlay functionality to generate these 3 videos:

1. With a passenger
http://youtu.be/smZfK7p-220

2. Circuit Laquais - 1m37s41
http://youtu.be/BeUjQL8_2eo

3. Following a friend
http://youtu.be/zalFGmu1ogw

In the video #2 for example, the lap details shows: external GPS @ 1.0Hz, so I guess Tomtom kit worked.

As you can see, there are some "data" freezes time to time (speed, rpm, throttle). It is quite frustrating to be honest...
Example: on the #1 at 0:20, #2 at 0:19, #3 at 0:27

Any idea how to improve the data rate quality?
Maybe you can help me, I am trying to get the video from my GoPro into my phone. What are you using to edit or load the GoPro files into the phone. I was able to edit one lap and get it into the phone, but it resized the picture and degraded the quality a bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq0FZYdWBfQ
sylvain007
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by sylvain007 »

I put the video in a specific folder in my computer named "GoPro" and next in iTunes I synchronize the pictures and videos (there is a checkbox to set) from this folder.
It will save the video (.mp4) in your library and next you will be able to use it in Laptimer.
MX5RACER
10 or more Posts ★
10 or more Posts ★

Post by MX5RACER »

OK, thanks. That is the method I used to load the video from the GoPro, but I used a third-party software to edit the video first. I will try it without editing the video first. Thanks again.
jmciver
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by jmciver »

I used HLT w/OBDII data (v15) this past weekend at a track event, overlaid the video on a couple of laps but noticed that both the overlaid video and even the raw video were "wavy" (that is the best way I can describe it) at certain points during the video. I know the camera is mounted securely as I used a RAM mount attached to my roll bar and verified the phone and mount were secure. Also, if the camera mount were loose, the video would shake uniformly (like how a movie or TV show simulates an earth quake) and not "wavy". Is there some parameter that be changed/adjusted to address this issue?

I saw this particular issue mentioned earlier in this thread but did not see any resolution for it. Is this an issue with the video processing in the iPhone? It didn't happen in all of the videos that I made. I can post a sample to explain what I am talking about if necessary.
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Yes, that's the video stabilizer that seems to not work well on every situation. Seems this will be fixed in iOS6.

Harry
Image Image Image Image
dannykao
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by dannykao »

Hello Harry,

Thanks for making this product!

I just purchased HLT Pro V15.0.5 for my iphone 4 and trainer for ipad and I am having problems with overlays. In the autox mode I recorded the data plus video using my iphone4, and when I go to laplist and select the lap and go to lap details, I can see the data and video. When I press the Overlay button, I see the overlay configuration screen. When I press the red Overlay button, it does nothing and I can only press Cancel to get out. I check the memory settings, available space (7GB available and the video is only 30mb) I hard reboot the phone, reset and close the application and restart. I deleted the application and reloaded it; but I still have the same problem - press the overlay button in overlay configuration and nothing happens.

I did read through the online manual, and read through every post in this thread and I don't see anyone else has this problem. I just want to be able to review the video with data between my autocross runs on the iPhone and any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

BTW, I also tried the same thing in my ipad HLT trainer, and have the same problem. So I don't doubt it if I am not doing something right... Thank you in advance!

Danny
sylvain007
20 or more Posts ★★★
20 or more Posts ★★★

Post by sylvain007 »

I did some test again in order to have better data rate in order to have a smooth overlay.

This time, I have only 1 iPhone 4s in the car (no interference with others smartphone, etc.)
I put the kiwi wifi next to the iphone (on the dashboard, the iphone is 1m away with nothing between them)
The Tomtom iPhone support is ON (in the lat details, we can read "External GPS@1Hz)
I am recording the video with Laptimer directly

Here is the result:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Nv4qiGFE8[/youtube]

As you can see, it still not good:
- Throttle is wrong very often
- The RPM freeze time to time (ex: 0:49)
- Speed is freezing too (ex: 0:34)

I really hoped that with the best iPhone, Tomtom support, Kiwi Wifi I would be able to have better result to be honest
Harry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You may contact PLX, maybe they can help, all of the above topics are OBD. It is not necessarily the wifi, maybe there is a different problem.

- Harry
Image Image Image Image
onemanracing
Fewer than 10 Posts
Fewer than 10 Posts

Post by onemanracing »

Harry wrote:Problem seems to be in step #3 / #4
LapTimer shows both the videos in the Camera Roll and any other folder in the Photo app! I'm aware that LapTimer's video list states 'Camera Roll' but it is any folder as stated before. So please check if you see the imported video anywhere in the Photo app, and try selecting it from LapTimer if it appears here. As LapTimer accesses the Photo app through a special API, I cannot guarantee available videos are immediately reflected. In case the video list is incomplete, quit LapTimer and Photo app to force a refresh (that's just a thought / try).

- Harry
Same problem, can't access anything except videos in the camera roll or Lap Timer Recordings. iPhone 4, everything up to date, OP, app and everyhting restarted...
Everything else works great, maybe should have looked at the app more before using it in anger but I can hardly blame anyone else but myself for that... ;)

The problem is that I cant sync videos back into the camera roll and therefore it's not possible to overlay my data onto my rather lovely GoPro video. The iPhone4 video overlay looks very nice of course but I'd rather have the GoPro.
IS it possible to have a bit lower damping on the acceleration by any chance?
/Mats Strandberg